Prior to a first date - should both parties agree in advance how the bill is to be paid?

... should they discuss in advance who should pay , or if they are to share the bill?

2248

Most Helpful Guy

• Since I'm a guy:

Not paying for the first date is a practical way to determine how a woman handles an unexpected situation. The ensuing amount of drama is a good predictor of what the relationship will be. If she raises no drama, pays, and says "next date's on you" then you have a keeper.

• That's actually a very smart thing to do. I can just imagine if she flips out about you not paying for her, what else she'd flip out about in the future. She'd probably be the type to attack you in the future whenever any problems were faced, rather than attempting to help you overcome them.

• I can easily point out a more than a handful of people on this site that I'm 99.999999999% sure are mentally ill. I wouldn't name names though.

• But overall most of the guys I've dated have been normal. Whatever that means.

Most Helpful Girl

• For me the assumption is that if it hasn't been discussed, both pay for their own. I don't think it needs to be discussed, but if either one wants to offer to pay, it's fine.