What are your catfish red flags?

Since it's pretty popular to use dating apps and websites these days, I think this is an interesting question. Which things make you think the other person is lying or catfishing you online? Or do you not believe in catfishing? (Catfishing = pretending to be someone else or hiding things about oneself online, for example using someone else's pictures.)

1122

What Guys Said 22

• You can always see their motive. It becomes transparent when a girl has a picture of some hot young chick and starts becoming overtly sexual in an awkward way that sort of makes you scratches your head. It's as if they're always some extreme persona or character.

I'll always get someone's Snapchat prior.

• You can usually tell instantly. Perfect, incongruous pictures to their other details. And when you push for any kind of connection they push you away or find an excuse. Lofty souls aren't afraid to expose themselves or to connect. Other insecure people hide away.

• You haven't connected with me in a while. I'm beginning to think you're a catfish

• So easy to pick up on girls that aren't legit on dating apps.

If a girl 'likes/favourites' you it's a dead giveaway cause its an attention seeking behaviour that isn't needed for a girl to get tons of msgs.

Or if they try get you to message off the app quickly its because they're trying to 'sell you' nudes/videos where moderators won't be able to take their profile down.

Only having revealing photos is also another one (again, attention seeking behaviour that girls don't need to attract)

And on PoF I've noticed fake profiles have an underscore in the middle of their profile name followed by jumbled letters in upper and lower case that make no sense. E. g. Sexylegs_xXob0

• They make excuses up about Skyping or going
    on Google Hangouts with webcam they refuse to
    talk face to face.

Female accounts that ask highly sexual questions
    i would say about 50 % chance they are Men behind
    them accounts.

• They send you strangely cropped pictures, their facts contradict themselves, and/or just ignore your questions entirely. Catfishers can be extremely self-centered. They also don't want to video chat. Ever. They usually have NO social media for you to add them on. Watch out!

• Fell for it once. Now I have a rule that never fails me. Basically I go on the assumption that everyone is a catfish until proven otherwise lol.

• the biggest one is if the pictures look too perfect or don't match eachother. then i do a reverse image search and usually find the pictures online.

you can also see it from how they react to stuff. but the first one is easier

• have no interest in the terms. even on here, i follow no one for i just treat it with respect but it is akin to a bus stop in life

• I thought catfishing was specifically when someone pretends to be the opposite gender? Is it more generic now?

Anyway, it's hard to tell at first. Usually I can tell once any conversation turns sexual as guys are way more direct and vulgar.

• Yeah, I think it can now be used as a general term of lying about oneself in an online dating context.

• You don't believe me that I wrestle alligators and am a stunt double for movie stars?

• If you are from the States, that might as well be true.

• I don't think I've ever been catfished. All the bitches I've ever met from online have been the one in the pictures they had sent. Some sent extra-flattering, or older pics. Does that meet the definition?

• I'd say so. I met a girl from online and the moment I saw her I was like 'Oh hell no!' as she was about 30-40kg heavier than her pics. Luckily she was awkward af so it was easy to end the 'date'

• Won't videochat, won't send pictures, wants too personal of information such as your full name and location, asks for money, seems suspiciously nice, claims they love you having never met you, etc.

• Uh... I am from Britain.

The only interesting thing we Brits have got to say is.

Would you like a cup of tea?

No Catfish here.

• Never wanting to FaceTime/Skype or meet up. 😷

• Usually explicit messages or questions about my job or family before going on a date.

• I think most of them are on sites that they work for trying to get you to register your credit card they say it's free and that will give you a pass but they lie

• According to many, when they are too good to be true 😂

• well thats not a good question for me i worked on shrimp boat for 30 years. and catfish is a good sing that you are going to get hurt. but i talking about real ones guess they might be the same

• Same Snapchat username, but different picture

• Looks like a model

• all the norms to cocky

• If she looks like a model, i'm not THAT lucky :(

• They won't show their face

What Girls Said 11

• When they look like a Instagram model.
    They're a muscly dude holding a puppy.
    And they never want to meet or phone chat.
    These are 3 big ones and so far always been correct lol.

• It's extremely difficult to know when your being catfished, as that happened to my father recently. The only thing I can say when things don't add up and their hiding obvious things. Most people would often say when they never meet you, etc. But to me, I believe it's a lot broader than that. Catfishing affects people differently. So I say when things don't align with your views and preferences.

• If they won’t call you, video you, or have an unnatural dp that is either too good to be true, too small or never changing. Basically if shit doesn’t add up.

• Basically if they make excuses for wanting to call/facetime is a red flag. Best way to know, tell them to send a picture of themselves with a piece of paper that says “this is me”

• When they don't send dick pics😉

Honestly when they don't want to meet in person or at least Skype/facetime

• I think I'm cynical because I'd assume that many people on those sites are catfishes to some extent!

• Not enough pictures.
    Pictures look unrealistic.

• Things don’t usually add up, stories are changed and photos exchanged are unrealistic.

• Too hot

• If they don't wanna call u

• Never wants to talk on the phone or FaceTime... or meet up