Submarining - The new Dating Trend: Have you ever experienced Submarining?

Submarining is the new dating trend. The act of submarining is when a person who ghosted you in the past re-enters your life, out of the blue, full of apologies, excuses, compliments , and promises. The ghost decides to suddenly reappear in your life without a valid explanation as to why they suddenly ghosted you. They’ll want to pick up where you left off before they ghosted you. Submarining can occur weeks, months or even years after the initial ghosting has taken place.

Have you ever experienced Submarining? Has a person who ghosted you in the past, suddenly reappeared , out of the blue , and contacted you again? Share your stories ♥

1748

What Guys Said 48

• I've heard of it but haven't experienced it. And if the girl who ghosted me suddenly came back, it would be a resounding "Nah, I'll pass," on my part. And that's not just because I am interested in someone right now, it's because of pure principle. If they quintessentially rejected me back then, then that's it. In my eyes, one rejection is a rejection for life. If I wasn't their plan A, then I refuse to be plan B. If not C, D or more.

• I have experienced it before, and I have also done it before. The beauty of usernames is that they almost never change, so you can catch up with someone after a long time and it will still be the same person.

Most of the time, people do this "submarining" when they're horny and or desperate... that being said, I have had some good experiences over the years, and people who I had massive arguments with, promised to never talk again... a year later we randomnly talk, meet up the next day and hook up 😂

Whether it's a good or a bad thing i dont know, but it's certainly exciting to think you can reconnect very easily

• I am a submarine.

A very low cost, ugly, defective submarine.

But a submarine I will remain 😊

• Who comes up with these names? Seriously.

And I'm pretty sure these "new" trends aren't actually new. Its just someone's slapped a ridiculous name to the action and are branding it as new because we live in the special little snowflake era where everything that our generation does is unique to us and never been done before. Uh huh. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

• So... any guesses to the next dating terminology that's gonna pop up? I'm thinking Spinner

• I say zoom, when u fuck ur way through several girls in the same day

• New dating trend? This is how assholes have always behaved. Hell, by giving it a cute nickname it just empowers them to do it more.

• I think the term should be zombied. As in, they came back from the dead. ;)

• New trend? lol... I've been doing it for years now hahah...
    But ya it happens a lot --> I think because you are already comfortable with that person so it eliminates are the preliminaries

Actually It's happening to me right now - a good example is I already asked her to go on vacation with me - and thats only possible because we dated before lol... easy breezy

• Never, ever, look back.

• Fuck me, they got a term for everything lol

• How is this a new dating trend, people been doing this shit forever. Its not right, true but its not new.

• What a stupid word for it..

• im the submariner lol

i like to dive deep into the ocean with my periscope fully active to know when it's the right time to come back to the surface.

• Yes, I've had this happen to me before.

When I was 18, I met with this other 18 year old and I went down on her in a park. She came and I thought surely she was going to be interested in pursuing something, but boy was I wrong.

I never heard from her again. I guess she just needed to get off. lol.

Anyway, about 5 months ago, there she was on FB. I'm 35 now, so that was 17 years later.

"I'm so sorry... I don't know what I was thinking. . . I don't even remember what happened.."

Until she goes down on me to return the favor, she ain't getting' shiz outta' me. lol. Kidding, but I probably should be like that.

• My first words after reading this was "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" But no I have not dealt with this.

• I remember when my dad used to "submarine" my mom when I was little. He'd show up every few years, saying everything would be different. This isn't new.

• who comes up with these names?

• i agree with you xD i was actually thinking at the real submarine rofl

• Not really new, but I get this type of behavior with co-workers who are just nice to you in order to get something from you.

Extending this type of behavior to dating is no surpise.

• Women have done that to me for 45 years.

• I don't think it has happened but is it always a bad thing and a red flag if someone like that comes back into your life?

• i know to stop using certain words when i see them on gag

• never had that happen to me xD and i´m happy that it never did.

• I am facing that same problem now. She is only being nice as all her friends and family want nothing to do with her.
    I think her problem is she is not willing to change her attitude.

• I have done it myself however not with the intention of dating someone
    I did it just because I feel like getting back simple As that

• Man I thought going on dates in an actual submarine was becoming a thing, that would be awesome.

• That’s a new term for me, I have yet to experience it but who knows, it could still happen

• Sounds like a BS ridiculous coined term for something that basically never happens. Submarining lmao man these Buzzfeed level words.

• Think I tried that once, obviously I am stupid and thought it would help me with sorting my life out.

• Is that even a thing?

• Nah, it's called being desperate.

• More from Guys
    18

What Girls Said 17

• only with people I actually went out with, never had it from people I didn’t get close too.
    And the reasons make a big big difference to me.

• Weeell... we weren't exactly dating since we kept things really casual. But there was a time when I cut things off with him (so technically he didn't ghost), and a few months later he "submarined". I'm not sure if that counts considering there was no ghosting involved but he did try to reconnect even though we weren't on speaking terms anymore, so it might count? I dunno.

• Yep. 9 months later he sent me the most explicit dic pics I've ever been sent. I shot him down so savagely I doubt he'll ever walk again.

• More often then not yes. I guess I have a trend of dating men with potential who ghost me bc a) men dump women when they are insecure bc they are often ego feeders and b) bc I don't chase so its easy to ghost me. I've been dumped about 6 times the past 4 years. 5 have begged fgir another try. I gave one a chnace. We hung out and had a nice end which we hadn't had previously do not wasn't bad, but i typically don't do retreads...

• Nope. I don't go for that. If a person wants to be a part of my life, they'll make an effort and not ghost

• That has never happened to me. I think people do that when they're desperate for someone to give them validation. So they go back to someone who used to be interested in them and they expect that person to still want them. It shows a lack of respect for the person they ghosted because it means they think that person has low standards and will except any kind of treatment.

• Haven’t experienced it but I’ve kind of done it except that I didn’t really ghost the guy. We used to talk and mutually stopped talking. Then over a year later I was like “hey I’m taking a trip to your state and I’m looking for suggestions of places to eat and things to see etc” it wasn’t too weird so it’s probably not a good example.

• Yes. I was like Fuck that.

• Yes. A guy who got a girlfriend came back around. I ended up dating him a couple of months until I realized he sucked and I didn't really like him. I recently got ghosted by someone I really liked for the same reason. He really hurt me. I've heard it called zombieing. It's better to be straight forward and end things then disappear. I just don't understand the whole disappearing thing. It's just so cowardly. I can respect you being straight up to my face. I might even be willing to let you back in later on if you show me that respect but to treat me like dirt as if I wasn't even worth a goodbye I'd a little hard to overlook and forgive.

• I would literally tell them they missed out. Get on the train if you want a ride, otherwise you're gonna be left behind.

• Oh but yeah. Talked to a guy and he got a girlfriend out of the blue - apparently he has talking to us both. I didn't care, moved on, even moved from town. Breaks up with her within a few months, and then pops up like I give a shit. I literally laugh at him and he didn't get it at first until I put it out flat. He tried to beg and apologize but I was so over it.

• Someone did this the past few days and I've been thinking what exactly goes through someone's mind that makes them do that? Anyone know?

• So when women do that it's just a simple routine but when it's men it becomes a fucking trend?

• it's happened to me. most recently my ex from 5 years ago. he never actually ghosted but he wanted to be friends with benefits so i pulled the plug.

• Unless there's a real genuine reason (which is rare I imagine) there'd be no going back with me.

• Lol I’d have too much shame to go back to someone I ghosted so I wouldn’t

• Some people dont have shame and if they can get away with it, they'll do it

• Wtf? Submarining is the word we are using... and ghosting is not a trend don't make this trend... Being ghosted on was not an awesome experience... and when they reappear u either take them back like an idiot or try to kill them

• Nope. Never happend to me