How long should a relationship be before introducing your bf/gf to your family?

Thank you all for your inputs. Keep it coming please.

824

What Guys Said 24

• I guess it´s more about our feelings rather than x amount of time. In my case it takes couple months to develop strong feelings and if me and my girl manage past that point, I´ll first introduce her to my friends and see how it goes. If that goes well, it´s within a month that she´ll meet my parents. So all in all I´d say around 3-4 months depending on how I feel about her. Could take less or could take more. My current girlfriend -sorta- has been with me from August and I haven´t introduced her to my parents yet, but my friends have seen her. In this case I have feelings but am quite unsure as to whether it´ll be a long term thing or not, so not gonna introduce her to my family anytime soon. Hopefully this helps :)

• If your family tries to control your life, after the marriage proposal. If your parents are negative all the time, after a year in my opinion.

If your parents are angels... after a month or two.

Funny thing is that my mom was negative about every woman I was ever into except one who she met for like 30 minutes and I dumped. She kept bringing up her name for years & saying what a huge mistake I made. So I just cut her out of the loop mostly.

• It all depends on when you're comfortable. The guy is going to be the same either way the first time he meets them and I believe the time of meeting the parents is either when the parents want to meet him or when you're ready to introduce him to them.

• There is no specific time limit.

• After a year in a half because you really want to know your partner very well and if you both Love, understand, and have balance with each other, that is when you introduce your partner to your family. when your family ask questions you won't feel uncomfortable and they will know that you have serious loving relationship.

• I would wait at least six months before i introduce her to my family, especially since my mother lives so far away

• I would introduce her once it's been an exclusive relationship for awhile and you both feel it's serious.

• At least 4 weeks

• No real limit honestly and its a good way to see if he/she can adjust

• There is no rule. Do if you like to. In my family i can introduce whenever... how much ever... who ever...

• Cuz you're German. You are progressive and very respectful. My fiance is German. I feel the same for almost every time I go to Germany.

Americans are not the same. They are probably the most conservative of all Western world.

• Oh wow! I could not imagine

• A month or 2.

• 2-3 months?

• 5 years i think to know your partner well and then introduce your partner to your family

• 68 years. then your parents will likely be dead and you will not have to bother

• i have no family so i won !!!

• 6mnths to a year

• Well my parents already introduced because she was my neighbor

• It depends how close you both are. Just something to do when you both feel comfortable doing so.

• There's a time limit?

• WHat i am trying to understand

• Depends. Only when you both are comfortable in doing so.

• Lawyer is better

• I never had a girlfriend. The way things are now I probably couldn't do anything or go anywhere with my parents or sibling knowing instantly.

• No time limit. I have been dating this girl for 10 months, and we are sort of secretive about our relationship, which is fine. In the past, she mentioned to me that people used to always get into her relationship and try to sabotage it or give her bad advice, so she stopped telling people she was in a relationship when she got into one.

-Only her close friends (a few of them) know that she is in relationship with me, but I have not met her friends yet. Same with my closest friends, but they live out of state.

-I have yet to introduce her to my dad, mainly because he is very judgmental. He acts like he is all high and mighty and acts like we are some "royal family". He always talks about how I should marry a white girl, someone who is in shape, someone who has a good job already, someone who is sexy, and all this other stuff. My girlfriend is black (like me), is working on getting back into shape, is in college getting her masters and works part time, doesn't have a car right now (but she is working on it) and has a good heart.

-I haven't introduced her to my mom because she would try to convert my girlfriend. My mom is really heavy into this black religion and every time she sees a black person, she tries to convert them, gives them religious CDs and talks all this religious crap.

As a result... I have no reason to introduce her to my parents yet. I am no ashamed of her, I just don't want my parents' opinions on my relationship (YET).

• "He always talks about how I should marry a white girl, someone who is in shape, someone who has a good job already, someone who is sexy, and all this other stuff. My girlfriend is black (like me),"

GASP! Wow, good job! I never hear many people talk like you, only the opposite. Black religion? Never heard of it.

• One day your parents will ask... "Have you found a girl yet" and you will say... "Oh, I've been married for 10 years"

• @sean1234 Pretty much XD! They still think I'm single and keep telling me the right girl will come along. I just smile and nod XD!

• 3 months 14days and 15 hours 6 minutes and 29 seconds

• i dont know what kind of satisfaction you get when you reply with nonsense.

• pi is 3.1415926 you switched the 9 and 6. get it right lol.

• @SteelerNation50 well i have failed there is only one thing left to do

What Girls Said 8

• Its up to the couple and probably dependent on the family dynamic. More traditional families, I would wait longer. More relaxed families, probably doesn't matter if its sooner.

• I introduced my most recent ex within about 2 because I had a party and him and another one of my friends were staying at my house afterwards so I kinda had too. The one before that my mam had already met him before I did because she worked at our school and he was in a different year group, so I met him about 3 years after my mam did, luckily she liked him.

• It depends on your relationship and family. Like I met my boyfriend's parents last weekend, we have been dating for a month and a half. He has yet to meet my family since they are more uptight than his.

• You can introduce him anytime.

• I waited 2 months.

• There is no right or wrong time. You introduce them when you and your partner think it's the right time and when your both comfortable to do it. And it's good when your parents are ready and comfortable too.

• Each situation is different. I never cared what my parents thought about my boyfriends. They were always negative. I always wanted to form my own opinion before they were introduced.

• give it at least a year