Is a 7 year age gap too much or OK?

I’m 19, he’s 26.. I have so many mixed emotions and I genuinely like him, and he likes me but the only issue is that we are at different stages in our life...

Do you we keep pursuing this or not?

1027

What Guys Said 27

• As long as you two have similar interests and goals (you ultimately want the same things in your relationship), don't let the age stand in your way. Both my parents have remarried to someone at least 7 yr age difference. In fact, I think it's more than that? They are both extremely happy in their relationships and have been together a long time now.

• It's up to the pair of you, personally (me being the same age as the gentleman in question) I wouldn't date anyone under 22 but that's because on average girls under that age are to immature, exceptions could be made of course.

• Okay so if I said I’ve previously been in a relationship of three years and have been single 18mnths since and talking to the guy in question for 12 months of that 18mnths, and am now looking to settle down again, would you consider it?

Things have now come to a head, and it’s at a point where we need to commit or let it go.

• I’m a working student? so work full time while doing my studies...

• So how much time are you looking to spend together, working full time and studying can't leave a lot of free time! I sound negative, but these are all things to consider...

• In the long run, no, but at your age I do believe that is a considerable age gap. The next 4 years are going to still be a big part of your development into adulthood and shaping you as a person.

I would say experiment so you can learn what you really like, but then again you could be missing out if this guy is a real catch. Just trust your instincts and take your time, don't rush anything you have lots of time

• I’m quite mature for my age, miss being in a committed relationship, I miss coming home to someone every night, I miss having that person to depend on (emotionally)...

I think I’m ready to settle, and even though I am unsure, do I want to miss the opportunity to be with someone who has some many qualities to what I want?

• I think go for it

• I dated a woman who was 46 once, it was a lot of fun and we liked each other. Honestly, I just say go with what your heart wants. It won't always want something practical, but emotions & especially love doesn't always deal in ideals. We rarely have the pleasure of having a perfect situation in all dynamics of our relationships.

• Please pursue it.

• Nope. As long as you're not a minor and you both love each other, there isn't a problem. For example: If someone my age (20) were to date someone who was 13, THAT WOULD BE BAD, because the person is underage. But if she was 19 (like you) and I was 26 (like the guy you like) there wouldn't be a problem since she's 18+ and as long as she liked me and I liked her and we get a long and all of that good stuff, then we'd see where things go from there.
    If you don't feel that comfortable dating him because you think 7 years might be too big of an age gap, you don't have to. I say give it a little more time until you confirm your feelings to yourself and make sure that you two are compatible with each other. Just take things easy, no rush to confirm your feelings.

• I think it's okay even in your case.

• It's okay

• Its okay as per my opinion.

• As long as both people are legal age
    And neither of them are hurting anyone
    And you like each other
    Then go for it

• My mum was like 18 and my dad was about 25 and it worked out fine.

• I would be hesitant at this stage. If it was 25 to a 32 year old that's fine in my book. It's mostly just maturity between you two.

• It's not to much for now but after one or two years you will have diferrent goals and your lifestyle will be tottaly different for example you want always to go clubing to travel to study if you are in a university and him he want to marry to make family to have a good job and thats why tbe future of this gab isn't so rich

• Don't think it's a problem it's the gap between my parents.
    They have been married for 36 years (still counting) and dated for like 5 or so years before.

• You are of age it no longer matters you could date someone with a 40 year age gap if you wanted

• Me and my ex girlfriend were 7 years apart so i don't see it being a big issue.

• If you were both older, like if it were 39 and 46, then it would be fine.

• I wish I could give you any inputs here. Although I had something similar going on, it ended in a cruel nasty manner which I never saw coming.

• Well women do mature faster. But age only matters if you want it too. You should talk about what you both want and go from there?

• We’re meeting Friday to go through everything but I don’t want to have to sit there convincing him why we should, I need as much support as what I give him 👀

• Well girls in this generation don't really mind I mean I'm a 15 year old guy and I wouldn't mind dating a 22 year old girl

• Legally you're safe maturity wise is a different story

• Go for it, you're both adults

• The age gap doesn't matter in the strong love. So I don't think it's too much.

• Just make sure he is male

• Try another partner. If your really confused you'll know.

• If he was 19 and you were 12... yes but you are 19 he is older, it doesn't matter how old.

What Girls Said 10

• That is totally fine.

• Perfectly fine. You're both consenting adults, and there's nothing wrong with that.

• My boyfriend and I are six years apart, so when we first started dating I was 20 and he was 26. The age gap, given that you're at a more mature age, will usually only get in the way if you let it or there's something you can't reconcile. For example, when I was 20 and he 26, you'd think I wanted to party and go through things he's already been through. But with my personality, it didn't matter bc I wasn't too into that scene. Both of us went through a childhood that forced us to grow up faster, so really were around the same maturity and don't want to bother with certain things. So I think it really comes down to the couple as individuals. Bc regardless of our age gap, we do have differences, but we also have similarities. We don't even notice the age gap bc we have such good chemistry. But it doesn't always work out as well for all couples. I think at 19 and 26, you guys have a shot at working out if you two have chemistry and are willing to try. It's ultimately up to you two if you want to pursue this further. Consider your circumstances, current situation and both your wants in the relationship and work from there.

• depends on maturity and even more importantly, the likeliness of either you moving in the next several years. Does he have a job that will keep in the area? What if he wants another job far away? Are you in university/ thinking about enrolling in one far from him? the problem with age gaps 19- 26 is the difference in financial stability and/or opportunities to move in pursuit of goals/dreams. if you're an undergrad, its easiest to date another undergrad, since you'll be on a similar track (same holiday breaks, times of stress, access to transportation), or if you're both working (likely similar hours (9-5), free time, and non-education based goals (asssuming no one is applying to graduate school, which may lead to another reason for moving)).
    Go for it, but be ready to face these obstacles/ know that you can't make someone stay if they value their dreams over you.

• Thank you :)) there’s so much to take into account but I’m hoping it’s worth the risk! we’re both still finding our feet so I’m hoping we land together 🙈

• Seven years isn't too much when like you both parties are consenting adults. Give it a go, it may turn out that the age factor gets in the way it also may work out perfectly fine.

• I don't think it's too much of an age gap, my friend and her boyfriend are 10 years apart and they are doing great. But if you're at different stages of your life. that could be problematic...

• He wants kids by 30 which makes me 23... which gives us 4 years to see what happens. If I were to have kids I need huge financial stability and while we’re both apprentices, that isn’t going to happen.

I guess time will tell. But if this seriously went somewhere, and I wasn’t ready by then, I don’t know if he’d wait :/

I’d like to think he would...

• Not planning university, or moving away... but I don’t know what is to happen in the coming months, think it’s worth a risk tbh

• I say if you really like him, and he likes you, if you're both mature enough and ready to make compimises for each other then go for it.

• When I was 19 I dated and almost married an ex who was in his early 30s.
    It didn't work for me because he was a creep and he cheated on me (long story), honestly if it feels right I'd say go for it! ❤️ DM me

• I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, its going to depend on how each person feels and such.

For me personally, I would not consider dating anyone with that much of an age gap. Automatic out for me, no matter how attractive he was.

• Its okay you're both adults. My boyfriend is 6 years older than me, our age difference has never been a problem for us

• It's fine.