What is meant by the term "unrealistic standards" when it comes to dating?

What is meant by the term "unrealistic standards" when it comes to dating?
Which (types of) standards are considered unrealistic? What makes them unrealistic?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say it is when the standards are hypocritical and or the sum of value is greater than that of yourself by an unrealistic amount.
    For example a girl who is overweight, unintelligent and of poor moral fibre would have unrealistic standards if she only desired to date men who were fit, intelligent and of good character.
    So in a way it's subjective but I think it should be looked at as a sum rather than comparing just looks against looks as there are other aspects that create value in a person, despite many people's standards only referring to the aesthetics of the other sex.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• Everyone is going to have flaws, finding the right person is more about finding someone that makes you happy and you can overcome problems together.

If you're not very interesting and active, you're probably not going to find a partner that's active and interesting.

0|1
    0|0
  • 0|1
    0|0
  • Nice profile pic, you look very cozy and anti-catfish 😅. I would say unrealistic standards are those that very few people possess and/or don’t have control of at the same time. I think a lot of people really miss out on those they are truly compatible with because they so strongly hold onto their standards.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks! I dare someone to accuse me of catfishery now. xP
      So, essentially, they're standards that one is statistically unlikely to encounter?

• Show All
    • So much to learn about girls. The words are the same but... I equated cramps with calf cramps, never once thought of birthing pains.

• @quirf We're not all that complicated; we just make it look that way.

• Expecting to find a girl who has over 100 iq in the United States that ISN'T a tourist.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think unrealistic not only refers to what standards but also how many standards. At some point you have so many boxes that need to be checked that nobody can check them all, or the ones who could you would never meet that person

0|0
    0|0
  • A man who is career driven but family oriented.

A man who is ambitious and driven but not materialistic.

A man who is in control but not controlling.

Well and some other stuff that are fairly contradictory.

0|0
    0|0
  • looking for perfection.

like wanting a guy who drops everything to come and see you whenever the fancy takes you. people can't live like that, and you shouldn't expect that type of reliance.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you look like someone hit you with a bag of pennies, but you only try to date Hollister models

0|1
    0|0
  • You are allowed to have whatever standards you want when it comes to dating. Just don't shit on people when they don't meet that standard.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's unrealistic for a man to have sex several times in a row without rest. I'm only a man!! Once or twice a night is good for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had this discussion with one of wifey’s friends who is very single 😂 Standards get unrealistic once you expect more than one or two high ones. To give a couple of examples

188cm tall is 95th percentile
    $150k a year is also 95th percentile.

Take away the opposite gender and you’ve halved that, so the chances of finding a 6’2 or above man who ALSO earns that money AND is single AND is interested in her AND is somewhat handsome AND lives within 100km... you see where I’m going? Stacking percentages and uncompromising on them is the fastest way to be lonely.

0|0
    0|0
  • i do not date, but if I did, I would view any standard as realistic. as long as you were not hypocritical about it

0|0
    0|0
  • It's great to have high standards, but sometimes all our standards combined create and unrealistic person

0|0
    0|0
  • Standards that you yourself cannot, or do not life up to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wanting something which you’d yourself are not able to offer !!

Anything I can do I should expect from my partner. That’s realistic

0|0
    0|0
  • An example is wanting someone who is a decent human being 😂😂😂😂

0|0
    0|0
  • I think unrealistic for me is when one requires either certain physical standards or social status.

0|0
    0|0
    • But doesn't everyone have certain requirements? Very few people would date any and everybody.

• Show All
    • Gotcha. Thanks!

• Your always welcome

• When you base an idea of a guy that is not probable

0|0
    0|0
  • as far as i can tell its wanting to date somebody i find attractive or even isn't fat as fuck

0|0
    0|0
  • It mostly used to describe high standards

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 3

• Hmm 🤔 I guess just abnormal traits to expect/want in a partner.. For example.. That kind of stuff that unfortunately isn't terribly uncommon.. Stuff you'll see where a guy is saying something like..
    "I only date girls with big titties and a big ass"..
    Or for girls..
    "I only date 6ft and up"

That sort of superficial mindset... But typically.. Unrealistic standards in specific are a good few steps beyond superficiality.. This is the sort of mindset that gets so crazy and specific to the point where it's nearly entirely unrealistic.

For example, I wouldn't say that I'm superficial in the slightest.. But I'm able to at least identify who's fairly attractive in a general sense.. and who's not.. And quite frankly, I've seen some guys that're at least in their fourties who might never have had sex (and honestly might never will)... Who have these crazy u realistic expectations of their opposite sex counterpart.. For example, I was reading this question the other day and this guy was saying that his wife MUST be this and MUST be that and MUST have x, y, and z abilities etc. and it was so over the top that I actually laughed out loud while reading it!
    Honestly, if people genuinely have and hold unrealistic standards then they're probably never going to meet a "real" person.
    Nice question! I hope this helps :)

0|0
    0|0
  • No one is perfect and fits each others lives 100%. Expecting this is an unrealistic standard.

Relationshipping is compromising and meeting mid field because there are values which allign with each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your standards are too high because most people shouldn't be trusted and the rest are not perfect human beings too so

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes