Sharing about your sexual past to your current partner - how much honesty to be expected?

Including ex gfs/bfs, former crushes, former friends with benefits, one night stands, friends whom you hooked up with once.. Do you only tell when asked? Or lie even when you're asked? Or just simply agree on don't ask don't tell?

730

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people lie out of fear and shame, and some do not want to hear the truth out of fear and shame... notice any recurring themes...

''The past is the past'' or ''don't ask, don't tell'' seem to be very popular mantras but those are not born from acceptance or honesty, they are also born from fear and shame.

Most people are ashamed of their past, and most people lie in an attempt to safe guard a possible future... but when this happens most people are creating barriers with each other, and are robbing themselves of a much deeper connection. When you lie... you don't only fool your partner, you also fool yourself.

The coward lies a thousand times...

• I don't know about others, but to me, it's exactly why "the past is the past" that one should not hide about it. It's meant for the new partner to learn about you. But I'm pretty sure I'm not in the majority.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not so interested in how many he's slept with or how many girlfriends he's had. I'm more interested in what experiences he has had, I'll sometimes ask him "have you ever done ___?" etc.

As for him asking me I'll tell him honestly but I only tell if he asks, if there are things he doesn't wanna know then I'm not just gonna bring it up. People don't always wanna know absolutely everything.