Is it bad if I want my ideal partner to have a college degree?

Do you have any list of requirements your ideal partner would meet? I know sometimes we end up falling in love with people we didn't know we would.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's bad to have an idea of what you want, but I also think it's important to be flexible on things that aren't absolutely critical to you. It's very unlikely that you will find a perfect partner and it would be a shame to pass up a chance with a very good partner because they don't meet some less important criteria that you might have.

I personally think that what matters most is openness, honesty, and being able to compromise on things you don't agree on, plus of course feeling a mutual attraction to each other.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's bad, you're allowed to have your own standards for what you want in a partner. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't mind if my boyfriend doesn't have a college degree as long as he is motivated and has a good job, but that's just me.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• No. I used to feel the same way. Now I'm more open-minded. There are plenty of with college degrees and no education, and plenty of well-educated people with no college degree. So think more deeply about what you think a college degree means, and search for people who have that. A diploma just says that someone spent a bunch of time and money at a college.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, not bad at all. If you want a nice life, it cost money. Sorry, but love doesn't pay the bills. I want a partner that works and earns a living just like me. Not fair that I have to work and pay all the bills for a life she gets to enjoy too but doesn't financially contribute to.

0|0
    0|0
    • For me its not that much about the money, its about the education. If I was with someone I loved, and they had a college degree but they couldnt find a great job, that woudnt be so big of a deal, but I like someone that has the education and ability to solve problems that a college degree gives you.

• Yes, at least have some initiative and not just be a couch bum.

• Exactly

• It depends my ex wife went to trade school and after she graduated about 3 or 4 months later she ran off with another guy
    I supported her during the whole time mentally and financially and in the end she ran off with a bigger looser
    Now he sits around the house and she supports him
    Karma is a bitch huh

0|2
    0|0
  • Not at all, you want someone with goals, a future and financial stability or the potential to be financially secure, none of that is wrong, it does have the potential to limit your options depending on your circumstance but its not wrong

0|0
    0|0
  • I get it. Personally I'd never expect the person I was with to have a degree or MA like me but being able to communicate effectively and be of a similar mind state is so important. But it wouldn't bother me if she worked in McDonald's for her entire life as long as we had that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's bad that you're "vain" enough to place a requirement on social status. I think what's bad is that you are equating a college degree to wealth and success--which isn't necessarily the case.

0|0
    0|0
    • No, it’s education what I care about. I know having a college degree doesn’t necessarily mean having a great job. But it means they have achieved a certain level of education

• I see. But even then, you might want to be more specific. Your only standard is that he "has a college degree". Obviously, there is a massive difference in the education and refinement of a man who has an Associates Degree in Theatre from your local community college and a man with with a Masters Degree in Medical Science from a prestigious Ivy League university.

• No, it’s not necessarily bad. Having good intellectual compatability is important. But there are many smart people who didn’t have the right opportunities in life. Similarly, there are idiots that get degrees...

If it’s just because of the perceived job security, look for a man that went to trade school.

0|0
    0|0
    • Its about education, and acceptance from my family

• Ah, I see. Remember that this is your life - make choices that make you happy. Everyone else can fall in line or get out of your life.

• I've mastered life (without) a master's from school and finacially retired. College doesn't determine you're destiny. Students are taught (The error of judgement ) in college , for those who lack common sense. But if you require an s/o to be as educated as you are , you've already failed.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is quite normal actually. A college degree represent higher chance of a stable income. It's critical for a relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • Requirements for your ideal partner are always up to you. If you know you will feel more comfortable with the man who has a college degree then go for it but as the guys from other posts said you will be limiting yourself. There is a guy who I work with that dropped out of college but pursued other type of job because he liked that more and he is really good at it without college degree.

He is a family man with three kids and earns a lot of money without college degree. I work with him for 2 years now and to me he seems well rounded guy.

I guess you are looking for stability in a man because that is one of your requirments but that isn't the only proof that man is stable. The most important thing is that man has some kind of purpose in his life that he loves to pursue and that makes him happy. That is what makes him stable.

College degree isn't indication of that.

Good Luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course not, it could make things really complicated in the future if they dont have one. If they end up wanting one in the future then the relationship would either have to end or become a long distamce relationship. I see no problem in that

0|0
    0|0
  • Especially if you're educated yourself there's nothing wrong with wanting a long term partner/SO/spouse who is educated as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's your life, you get to set your ideal requirements.

Doesn't sound like you're dogmatic about it either, so yeah, you're good.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not bad but you could really be limiting yourself. For me "requirements" are spiritually/morally based not based on material things like a college degree.

0|0
    0|0
  • It should not be a matter of "ideal", but a firm requirement for you to even accept a date.

Young people are often foolish to ignore that LTR/marriage is about business (money). The most important financial decision a person makes is whom to marry, or even whether to.

Smart women know that a relationship is in part a business relationship and they will back out the requirements from their desired standard of living. If you want to live in a great, safe neighborhood in a large house and with top public schools, then you might limit your dating to only those who are high-end professionals or better.

Of course, you must also evaluate your own position, as those high-end professionals can choose anyone. Your requirements must be realistic for what you are offering.

0|0
    0|0
  • An odd qualifier but whatever floats your boat I guess. It's not like they're hard to get now so you're not singling many people out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why?

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s not bad as long as you have one also

0|1
    0|0
  • I have a good job pays the bills you?

0|0
    0|0
    • Here's the thing. Jobs, come and go. A good solid education is permanent and can never be taken away from you.

• Is that how you feel about a partner. Im in it for good

• Not bad, just shallow.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 8

• no. i want my ideal partner to have at least a masters.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong with wanting an educated partner. I have a list of qualities in mind, but I'm definitely not looking for someone who fits every single trait

If you could answer a question for me, that would be amazing!
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2766902-my-formal-date-broke-his-leg-how-to-make-sure-he-has-fun

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not weird at all. You (and I) value an education, so a guy needs to as well. It knocks out a group of eligible guys, but if it's something you really want don't change unless the guy has other qualities that you learn to value more

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean know you just wanna be with someone that's successful like you are

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t really understand why this would be a requirement especially since it’s not indicative of either intelligence or financial stability.

0|0
    0|0
  • There’s nothing wrong with having a list of “ideals” but don’t be surprised if you end up with someone with not all of them ticked off

0|0
    0|0
  • Not bad

0|0
    0|0
  • no but i'm working on my College degree atm ^_^

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes