What should I reply to this text message?

So I've been seeing this guy for a few weeks, there's an 8 year age gap but I genuinely thought this would be going somewhere with him. He was pretty in advanced in how he was speaking to me, i. e. making plans for Christmas and new year. Anyway, he sent me this text message;

Hi, I really like you but I'm not sure if I want to take this any further. I think you're really good looking and I've enjoyed the laughs we've had but not sure if we would be compatible. I think it's the age gap. Sorry I feel really bad. Hope we can still stay as friends?

Obviously it's a slight kick in the teeth, but I just can't decide what to say to him. I am naturally disappointed however I am not usually in this predicament. Advice would be really appreciated!

12