What should I reply to this text message?

So I've been seeing this guy for a few weeks, there's an 8 year age gap but I genuinely thought this would be going somewhere with him. He was pretty in advanced in how he was speaking to me, i. e. making plans for Christmas and new year. Anyway, he sent me this text message;

Hi, I really like you but I'm not sure if I want to take this any further. I think you're really good looking and I've enjoyed the laughs we've had but not sure if we would be compatible. I think it's the age gap. Sorry I feel really bad. Hope we can still stay as friends?

Obviously it's a slight kick in the teeth, but I just can't decide what to say to him. I am naturally disappointed however I am not usually in this predicament. Advice would be really appreciated!

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Just go with something like “I’m glad you’ve said that, as I was just thinking the same thing. I’m sorry but I just don’t think we’re compatible at all. You’re nice enough but I am looking for more than that. Thank you, and I wish you every happiness in the future“.

2|0
    0|0
  • Thank you for the cooperation.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• "Well I appreciate you're honesty so thanks for letting me know". Something along those lines...

Hey we have to teach these men it's better than ghosting, plus it demonstrates a level of maturity on your part that may make him think.

1|0
    0|0
    • H2OHydrox said it well too though - as he's likely looking at younger women in just the physical aspect.

• thank you so much! my immediate reaction was to call him and tell him it's absolutely fine, I still feel like I would prefer to do a phone call over texting... but then I do feel as though that is a slightly higher level of investment than he gave to me.. should i stick with the texting?

• You're welcome! I'm no dating expert but it depends on how the two of you get along, if you've spoken on the phone before and are both comfortable enough with it then sure, but if you feel like it may be too awkward then perhaps just go with a text. It's all about context so its hard for me to make the best suggestion from here really. Good luck 🙂

Recommended myTakes