Why do I feel guilty for doing things when he wasn’t my bf?

I️ have been with my boyfriend for 1.3 years. However, we only became officially boyfriend and girlfriend around April 2017. My boyfriend and i met in September 2016. I️ told him in November/December that I️ wanted to take things further and be in an actual relationship. He told me “I️ don’t really want one right now... that doesn’t mean I️ never want one with you. Just not at this time”. I️ told him “ok, then i might date other people and see if someone is looking to have a relationship”. I️ told him i was going on a date, and I️ did, back in December. Things didn’t workout with that guy. Then, I️ also had sex with someone else (an old flame). My boyfriend, at the time, told me I️t was fine if I️ did things/dated other people, as he wasn’t asking me to wait for him to be ready. But, I️ still feel guilty for doing these things. I️ feel I️ am a bad person because I️ didn’t tell him I️ had sex with another person. I️ also feel I️ don’t need to tell him, as he wasn’t my boyfriend, and I️t wasn’t cheating. I️ think that NOW me and my f are together and deeply
In love, I️ feel guilty about I️t. At the time, I️ didn’t feel guilty. But, I️ feel telling him will just do more harm than good. Me having sex with someone else, happened almost a year ago.

110

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably because you wanted a relationship to him and you wanted him as your boyfriend, your heart was somewhat bound to this guy as you gave your body to another man.

I'm confused, what WERE you two doing all that time? You were with him as in dating him but you just weren't an official couple? Or am I mistaken and you weren't dating him during the time you started going out with others? If you were dating him (were you having sex with the guy during that time too... sex with your boyfriend) I'd call that kind of questionable behavior if you were dating your boyfriend (but just not full on committed yet) and having actual sex with someone else.

If you are actually having sex I don't consider it honorable to date anyone other than who you are having sex with. Once you have sex than you are pretty much bound to see things through with that person to see if things work out long term and you don't have sex with anyone else during that time... not until you completely part ways with someone you having sex with.

So you are dating this guy, you want him to be your boyfriend but he isn't ready to call it that but then you go have sex with someone else while still seeing your (now) boyfriend? If that were me I wouldn't be ok with it. I actually wouldn't want to date anyone who was having sex with someone else. See things through with that other guy... don't be having sex with both of us. That's really kind of gross.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I️ did want a relationship, yes. But, he told me he did not want one. I️ told him, I️ would date other people and find someone who wants a relationship. My now boyfriend told me, “that’s ok, I️ still want to be around until you find that one. If the dates don’t workout, then I’ll still be here”. He also told me, when he misunderstood what I️ said (before I️ had sex with someone else) “it’s okay, I️ know you have needs and I️ am not always around”. Therefore, he literally gave me the choice to have sex with others/date others/see them. I️ had sex with that other person ONE time, and this was during a time I️ didn’t see my now boyfriend very often either.

Now that it’s said and done, I️ do feel guilty. Even though this happened nearly a year ago. I️ am not saying I️ am proud of my actions, or they are justified. But, I️ am saying, I️t is what happened.

• Yes, I️ understand your view. However, I️ also have my boyfriend the option to see others. We weren’t 100% committed, but, we were seeing each other and getting to know each other.

• You keep mixing "see others" as being the same as "have sex with others"
      Maybe he won't mind but he should know. If he is going to mind and think you had gone too far than it is best to get this out of the way now.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess you feel this way cause now you're in love with him.
    But to that time like you said, you were single and you had everyright to do what you did. You did nothing wrong, you didn't cheated on him and who knows what he did in that time.
    It's fine, don't be harsh on yourself! He didn't asked you to wait and you were not obligated to wait for someone who wasn't sure about you to that time

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE