What is the best way to tell your significant other that you do not like the way they dress?

This guy is absolutely the sweetest. However, he is always wearing this printed sweater-shirt with a hood on it. It's pretty much an eyesore, plus he is always freezing--I can see him shivering! This is his go-to look, and it's pretty awful considering that he has some really nice clothes & jackets that he never wears. What's the best way to approach this situation?
  • Burn the shirt OR Talk about it
    Vote A
  • Back down, it's not up to you
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No need to begin with being critical. Tell him, "I know that sweater short is comfortable but I don;t think it is very flattering for you and you are too cute to be wearing clothes that detract from your appearance. Would you be willing to try a few outfits that I pick out for you?"

11|6
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Ooh i like how u said this

• Show All
    • Lol i think its too late for me haha. Read below

• This is spot-on. Such a sweet way to tell him that. He won’t even get mad at you don’t worry

Most Helpful Girl

• Buy him some stuff you like. When you go out on dates etc insist he doesn’t wear the crappy stuff. But let him wear it on his own time. Help him coordinate if you need to cuz some guys just dgaf and wouldn’t know what to do even if they did. Reward him like a puppy when he does well, in ways that let him know you really prefer that look. Ignore him when he wears the other shit. Keep a spray bottle handy so if he tries to make a move on you spray him in the face if he’s wearing the shitty stuff.

1|4
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Show All
    • that was tried on me. It don't work I thought she was trying to control me and change me. So I broke it off with her.

• Praise him often when he wears what you like.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 51

• Let's swap this around. How would you like your significant other to inform you of his opinion on how you dress? I'm going to go with more or less being direct. But since fashion does somewhat correlate with identity, it should be done with tact with a hint of compassion of who he is, as a lot of people do have self image problems and would go on the defensive if something like this occurs. I'm my opinion, start it off soft ("I know that how you dress have been your style for awhile, and I know that you are comfortable with it...") then the homer ("but would it be OK for you to try on some styles which I think may look awesome on you?") - within these lines. Like a social experiment for growth. At least when you give him an option instead of a downgrading opinion, he'll be able to choose for himself with a more positive mindset. But a caveat, don't be surprised or emotionally attached to the outcome if he just says no. Be calm, take a breather, don't be nervous, then just tell the truth. At the end of it all, your voice have been heard. Building a relationship takes courage, esp when you want or need to raise an issue. When you two overcome a challenge, that's when both of you build a stronger relationship and are able understand each other more. You got this! :) Remember, be calm and collected throughout this challenge. Nothing hurts the conversion more than being emotionally charged when going at it, esp when it comes to a person's identity. Hope this helps. Just my 2¢ :D

0|0
    0|0
  • be straightforward about it. Dude why are you always only wearing this when you have these other cool things in your dressing?
    Don't be too rough on him "that shirt is shit". just try to understand what's his reasoning.

depends how long you've been together, but if you two are comfortable with each other, then playing mind games shouldn't be the approach: "oh I'll tell him that this guy at work that I hate has a shirt just like his and hopefully he will stop wearing it"

3|0
    0|0
  • Just talk about it.

It's easier for a girl to talk to a guy about this than the other way round. "You know, you'd look really good in X etc" always works for me.

2|0
    0|0
    • Great point! I like your suggestion, since it prevents any hurt feelings. 🙂

• First I'd recommend asking why he wears it. Second what value (sentimental or monetary) it has to him. Finally say (only if you still have reasoning), "If you want to, how about we get some new clothes?" Of course keep this time limited because guys don't like to shop as much as girl's do

1|1
    0|0
  • My ex bought me some swede shoes with rope in them and this terrible tshirt. I wore them omce thrn hid them. They was absolutely shocking. She asked for other clothing sizes so i her not to buy me clothes.. she knew it was cause of those shoes.. they were so terrible

1|0
    0|0
  • Buy him a new hoodie. That simple. You can call it a Christmas gift and say it's because you know how cold he always is. even if he doesn't like it, he'll probably wear it to avoid hurting your feelings.

2|0
    0|0
  • You knew how they dressed when you got with them so why is it now a problem?

1|0
    0|0
    • I was blind sighted with this shirt. It was something he bought fairly recently and now wears everywhere.

• Tell him you don’t like it

• I've been thinking of just telling him. Guess I will figure out my approach to it. Thanks

• Why not just tell him exactly how you feel? Just be polite, calm and upfront.

3|1
    0|0
  • Gently suggest that he wears the nice clothes and compliment him when he does. Take him shopping, and point out some other outfits you'd like to see him try on.

2|0
    0|0
  • Take him shopping and point out guys who are well dressed. Tell him to dress like that. Then buy him the damn clothes.

2|0
    0|0
  • Talk to him tell him that he is good looking and how the piece of clothing ruins it. If all comes to worse you could burn it at least then it would warm him up for a little while.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Fuck you look good, give it to me" <- say that then bang him and get your juices all over his hoodie so he can't wear it out again. Repeat until you've stained it all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Strike up a deal. I did this with my ex. She wanted me to wear shirt and tie more often. I said I would agree if she wore leather and stilettos. Ah... Good times.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would recommend finding out why that particular piece of clothing is so important to him. My buddy wears a shirt his dad passed on to him before he died.

2|0
    0|0
  • Just talk to him. Tell him the same way you told us or show him this question.
    If he wants to continue being a ding dong. Just let him be a ding dong.

0|0
    0|0
  • First thing first... Never ever do damage to his clothes. You do not know if it has sentimental value, maybe it was a friend or relatives who died, or maybe he wore it at an important event or during a certain time in life and it is now a "security blanket".

If it truly bothers you , just wait till he is going out and just "randomly" ask... Hey babe, why not wear one of those nice jackets... You wore that one already.

See what he says. If after this he still wears it, politely ask him to wear a different outfit when you two go out. Because it just bothers you that you have different clothes daily but he doesn't.
    Remember to say it nicely.
    Good luck. :)

2|0
    0|0
  • Buy him things you like and compliment him on how well the new clothes work with his features body type.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him darling... You have a big penis this why he will accept anything... and than Tell Him that you dress like Harley Quinn, this way you Tell him What you wanted to say without hurting him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Go shopping with him. Ask him to come along. Pick out some cute outfits and ask him if he likes the way they look on you. He might get bored, but switch things up and try on some sexy dresses or outfits for him to check out. As you are browsing, pick some cool items that you think will look good on him and sneak in some suggestions. "I think you'd look hot in this" or "I'd love to see what you look like in this jacket."

This is assuming he is willing to spend money. Giving him a few pieces of clothing as a gift might also give him the idea.

1|0
    0|1
  • Tell to try that style which is according to you will suit them
    In a constructive way like
    You should try this it will look good on you

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 28

• Any topic about appearance can be touchy, so you need to handle this with care. Don't just let him look bad, but also don't let him know that he does. You can try "hey, I want to see how this looks on you" or "have you tried this outfit together before? I think it'd look really good on you!" Just hint that you'd like him in those clothes, and if he doesn't take the hints then he may just like the outfit he wears and there isn't much you can do.

1|2
    0|0
  • Back down, its his choice. Love the man not the clothes. Eventually you will just get used to it. Tell him to get something warmer though. Maybe your Christmas gift? Lol

3|0
    0|1
  • His identity is in how he dresses. Allow him to be comfortable in what he wears. Just pick out a few outfits for him and mention how good you would think he looked in them. Remember he is NOT required to impress you all the time. He is a person. Not a model/doll for you to dress up all the time! Moderation is key.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like he is in his comfort zone and pleasing himself not the public eye... high 🖐

3|0
    0|0
  • Oh gosh yeah that sounds awful. id just tell him. let him know that I'm he has some nice clothes that he never wears. and if he doesn't wear it why take up space so if you don't wear it I'm giving it to goodwill

1|0
    0|0
  • Dress him up girl! Go through his closet with him or go shopping with him and let him try on things you like and gush over him!
    Tell him stuff like "you look SO good in this shirt" and "Wow these pants make your legs look long" and "you look so attractive in that outfit" and just straight up say "wow you look so handsome in that outfit"

0|0
    0|0
  • Just be up front about it. No sense avoiding the topic if it bothers you that much. Just be gentle and kind while addressing the issue.

0|0
    0|1
  • Just tell him like exactly what you wrote.
    “Sweety, why do you wear this god awful hoody that you are obviously freezing in, instead of some of the really great, and warmer clothes you own?”

0|0
    0|0
  • You should back down. The way he dresses is up to him. It's kinda annoying when a person enters in a relationship and then tries to change their partner.

1|0
    0|0
    • Not always. She can open his eyes on some stuff he didn't notice before. It was similar with my ex. So don't be afraid to tell the truth. Politely of course.

• Of course if it his conscious choice to look like he looks then you're right it will be annoying.

• Lmao i just dealt with this situation yesterday. I just straight up told him, i love you but i can't stand that u wear graphic tees 24/7. I said, i like the wordy ones but you dont even wear those. All you wear is anime tees and deadpool, etc when you go to church, school, sleep, blah. I was like, when you visit me, at least change it up or sumn. Its embarassing because he looks to grown for these shirts. Ion want people thinking im dating a kid. I didn't say anything about this for like 8 months but i guess i got fed up. He heard me but its not gonna change him. He’ll be right back in em next time we Skype

0|0
    0|1
  • Compliment him when he wears something you are into. And look disappointed when he doesn't.

1|1
    0|0
  • Tell him you hate it ans are throwing it away. That's what I do

0|0
    3|2
  • Lol slowly start changing his clothes😂😂😂 untill all the shitty ones are gone

0|0
    0|1
  • I don't really care about clothes on my boyfriend body. I have my own style of clothing.

0|1
    0|1
  • I enjoy looking at bad dressers, not to make fun of them, but I just find it interesting

0|0
    0|0
  • How long have you been talking to him?

1|0
    0|0
    • Friends since high school. Together since August

• Buy him a gift card to a store you think has good style for Christmas

• Start buying them clothes

0|1
    0|0
  • Buy him something you'd like to see him in.

1|0
    0|0
  • Telling is the best way

1|0
    0|0
  • Just discuss it with him

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes