Is dating in England different than America?

I am in the UK right now, and I met a woman in the mall. We talked and hit it off. I ran into her one more time, and she seemed excited. She asked me lots of questions about where I was from, and we had fun. We flirted, and I asked for her number. Got it, and she asked me to add her on FB. A week later we began talking, and I asked her to coffee or dinner. She told me she is seeing someone. So I said: "Well I cannot have coffee with you then if you're seeing someone, because that would be disrespectful to your boyfriend, and your relationship with him." She called me an asshole. I told my friend about it, and he says that how dating works here. You just jump from person to person until you find 'the one.' Is that true? Was I wrong?
I should also add when she told me she had been seeing someone she said she could still take/meet me for coffee.

16

Most Helpful Girl

• Seeing someone isn't the same as being with someone. And it's fairly common for people to be seeing multiple people until things get serious and you have the exclusive talk. If you're dating multiple people you should be honest about it and ideally not have a physical relationship with anyone. Although she shouldn't have gotten angry at you for not being comfortable dating her whilst she's dating someone else. I think you did the right thing.

• Whenever I dated I have never dated multiple people at once. Even when the opportunity arouse. I feel like it is disrespectful to that person. It feels like you're sampling the store, and people deserve better than that. Right?

• I mean opportunity arose. Lol

• Personally it's not something I have done, but a lot of people do. I agree that people deserve better than that, but the dating game is a shit storm of backstabbers. I don't know whether it's just here or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, that's not true at all. Dating here is no different to anywhere else. Most people at least try to be faithful if they bother getting into a relationship. Some people won't be faithful, some will be players, some will be inconsistent, some will be attention seekers, etc. It's the same the world over. Human beings are no more or less complex anywhere in the world, that's my experience.

It sounds to me like you did everything right and she gave you all the positive indicators that would make you confident in her being a dating prospect. She then blew it out of the water with her revelation about seeing someone. You then acted with dignity and respect and she turned into a crazy bitch. I would say that you have dodged a bullet.

• lol okay good. My friend was pretty convincing about this being a euro thing.