How long before you tell your significant other you have a medical condition?

Obviously nobody wants to start a first date with staying they have a medical condition. But how long before you open up to someone you are dating about it?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• When the two people involved have expressed mutual feelings and wish to continue the relationship further. Then it´s time to be open as good relationships require honesty and being able to live with each others´ faults. Medical conditions shouldn´t be an issue if there´s already a strong attachement from both sides. If the medical condition however affects sexual activity or other things that are usually present at the beginning, it´s wise to tell that to your parent when things move to that direction.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I've struggled with this quite a lot.

I have trouble finding the right time to bring up mental illness. I have self harm scars which are very noticeable when I'm not wearing long sleeves and pants.

Finding the right time is hard. I want to be honest, but I don't want to scare anyone away

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• What is the medical condition and are you dating just for casual dating, casual sex, LTR, want to get married?

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the condition. If it's communicable, before you could transmit. If not, before it could effect your activities or lifestyle together. I don't wanna find out my girl has a heart condition half way through the haunted house, or she's allergic to dogs after I just adopted a pooch.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the condition and do your med's control the problem? If your med's do, then there's no rush. But if it's a possible life threatening condition, it would be to your benefit to let him know ASAP.

0|0
    0|0
  • A health issue that is contagious: immediately.

An issue that only affects you: after you’re in a mutually committed relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • Id just slip it all nonchalant like it ain't nuttin but a chicken wing lol
    The more dramatic you make it out to be the more seriously he will take it

1|0
    0|0
  • The second I know it might be going somewhere. Get any potential deal breakers ( sexual past, credit problems, and medical issues) out of the way as soon as possible.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well what is it? HIV tell them before you fuck but if you have epilepsy also dont wait until you're having a seizure for him yo find out.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the medical condition, and how serious it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • what kins of medical condition depends, physical or mental... physical right away...,, mental when comfortable it shouldn't change anything at all in the relationship if you love someone u love them

0|0
    0|0
  • Impossible to say without knowing what the condition is.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on the medical condition. If it's something potentially fatal, then it's better to let them know right away as there are 2 types of people:
    1) The ones that don't want to get attached to someone who could leave them at any moment in life.
    2) The ones that live life in the moment and cherish all the connections with people no matter how little time they've spent with them.

If it's something non-fatal and more of an irritation then it's okay to wait a little (when you know things are serious or official) then tell them as it most likely will not affect them, but will just give them more knowledge of you and allow them to be more knowledgeable of your situation.

If it's an STD, the moral thing to do would be to tell them before engaging in any sexual activity. It may deter them, but it's better to be able to sleep well at night knowing you're a decent and caring person that hasn't done any harm to anyone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Should be addressed right away so they don't think you were keeping secrets later on

0|0
    0|0
  • A few dates in. You definitely don't want to start something serious with a lie.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's important than tell them as soon as you feel comfortable, but if it's something like asthma then it doesn't even need to be brought up

0|0
    0|0
  • Immediately. Because people have a right to make an informed choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would let it enter the conversation "naturally". I would certainly say hello first!

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say it from Day 1.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the condition I would suppose.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you notice things are getting serious

1|0
    0|0
  • If it's contagious, I would tell him ASAP.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 3

• Depends on if when you plan to get serious with him and he’s feeling the same. You wait at least that long.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what it is. If it is any mental illness or extreme physical illness, asap. first date. But like something like minor asthma then whenever you feel like it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would tell as soon as possible.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes