How soon after a breakup would you start chatting and dating to someone else?

Lets say that your ex did you wrong and their bad behaviour was the reason that led to the split. You see no chance whatsoever of a reconciliation, would you get back on that horse say 3 weeks later and start chatting with others on a dating site or do you think that is way too soon?
I guess I'm just feeling a little bruised but more to the point I'm not sure if I can be bothered making the effort to date, it just seems overwhelming and I dont feel 100% enthusiastic about starting the dating game.

441

Most Helpful Guy

• when someone came along that I actually wanted and felt some kind of desire to be with- rebounds do actually work! Just not straight away for the most... quite the other way actually, but it gets better.
    My point is, that trying to put some kind of timed note on it is both stupid and a great source of stress and bad wuju ! If it happens it happens; if it doesn't it doesnt! Some people do actually need real time to grieve, where others are more the "fuck the pain away" kind of people... do as you feel right about doing; not what others say or what you feel is "expected".
    I usually uses somewhere in between 6-20 hours before I hook up with somebody new after a break-up! It´s a neccesary "evil" in my book, the way I deal with shit !

Most Helpful Girl

• When you feel ready. I know for me, after a breakup I don't want to immediately jump back into the dating game because its overwhelming starting over, especially if the relationship I just got out of was longterm. Also, you have to make sure you're over your ex and not using the new guy as a rebound. Because that won't help you move on and you'll end up hurting another person if you were just using them as a rebound. A new relationship will distract you, but you have to come to terms with the end of your fort relationship on your own instead of trying to find happiness some place else. Wait at least a month before you jump back in. That way you have had time to learn from the mistakes that happened in your last relationship, reevaluate reevaluate your goals (are you looking just to have fun or get married), and the type of qualities you want in a guy, so you don't go after the same guy again and end up getting heartbroken all over again. I hope that helps!