Would you ever do a long distance relationship?

I've never even considered it. Then I was back home for a few days and the girl I was in love with for years, who was also my best friend, that rejected me constantly back then matched on tinder with me. We went out on a date and it was great. All the feelings I had came back and it was just a fun date, we really enjoy each others company. Now I'm finding myself considering it. What do you guys think?

262

Most Helpful Girl

• My first relationship was an LDR with an old middle school friend. That's where we met. We had become the best of friends in 7th grade back in '07. He moved away and his dad died causing his family to move back.
    Their mom remarried and they were living in their truck with their dog. My parents offered to let them stay with us so he shared a room with my brother and his sister stayed in my room.
    Eventually CPS got involved, for reasons I will not mention, and told my parents not to let their parents take them overnight. Of course they didn't like this but agreed to Saturday visitations. My mom was about to begin to file for permanent guardianship so they could grow up in a stable and safe environment. Then March came around. I'll never forget that day...
    Their parents had arrived for Saturday visitation and we were standing at the front door talking. I had this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was going to happen. And my first thought was that I should talk to my friend and ask him to come up with some sort of excuse to not leave. But I didn't. I just dismissed the feeling as nothing and watched them walk out the door.
    A few hours later my mom, my brother and I were at a yard sale and I had just picked out a birthday present for my friends sister. My mom's phone rang and it was him. They were at their storage unit packing up their truck to leave the state. He and his sister didn't want to leave and wanted us to go get them. We didn't make it in time.
    Then while we were there, he called again. This time they were at a gas station. His sister was crying in the background I think. They begged for us to pick them up and we yet again didn't get there in time. I never saw them again...
    I went into a really dark depression that summer. I barely ate, didn't speak as much, had nightmares. I felt... lost. I joined an ROTC program at my high school and became Officer in Charge of Public Affairs. My depression subsided but didn't completely go away until halfway through my freshman year.
    I was working on the scrapbook for ROTC when my dad walked in with the phone. It was him. He remembered my phone number. I cried when I heard his voice. That was when I realized that I had fallen in love with him.
    Long story short, we had decided to have an LDR and that lasted a couple of years. I had just saved up enough to give him a surprise visit when he broke the relationship off. I was depressed and refused to date for a whole year. That was 2 years ago...

• I apologize for the long opinion. I needed to talk about that. People had told me that LDRs don't work and never will. I refused to let them be right. Turns out they were right about this one... Even though I am engaged now, and I don't publicize that except on here because my family won't approve, it still hurts a little. He never explained why he was breaking up with me. Just that he felt we should go our separate ways. I may have found love again, but the pain of losing your first love never truly goes away. I don't know if that's how it should be or not, but that's how it is. I may be able to do another LDR, but I think I'd be paranoid during it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't like day dreaming

• It's not a daydream I mean in my line of work we are separated from our loved ones for months at a time anyways so in reality we are all in long distance relationships at one point or another and some people can make it work. It's not really a daydream.

• But what's the difference in your mind that makes you say it's daydreaming vs it wasn't about cases like this just because my job requires me to deploy?

• Many people try to make gf/bf and then i met a person who waited for 5yrs but then heartbroken...

70% of all cases are like this "fake"
      Or whatever adjective you use for it..

That made me say that it's daydreaming.