Guys, is body image fundamental for you when dating someone?

Does it matter if a girl is overweight and has some flaws? Be honest though!
Updates:
Sorry, I probably used the wrong term. I meant does physical beauty mean a lot to you when dating? Me and the person I'm seeing still haven't had sex so he's only seen me dressed. I'm very insecure about my body because I have cellulite, thigh dimples, rolls etc, plus many stretch marks caused to several weight losses and gains. I wanted to know, would you be turned off to discover what's underneath a girl's clorhes?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I like bigger women, so her weight usually won't be an issue anyway, but there are other things that are more important (was also that way when I was 20- my girlfriend was a little oveweight, but I didn't care).

2|0
    0|0
    • In response to the update, honestly, I'd be turned off by discovering she pretended to be something she isn't (personality-wise), or didn't appreciate me, stuff like that. No one is perfect, anyway, but it's more important to me to be appreciated and to be with someone who is compatible. You wouldn't want to be with any guy who is so shallow that he'd be perfectly happy with you until he discovers you're less than "perfect" physically.

• Show All
    • Commenting generically here, I think it would be better to discuss this sort of thing in advance. Maybe he will assure you that there is no problem, and wouldn't that make you feel much better?
      Every Guy has his own preferences, but I would rather be told because it shows she trusts me and gives me the chance to reaffirm that I am interested in her, period.

• One other thing- if she tells me she is insecure about something, I'd handle that topic particularly sensitively as part of building up her confidence.

Most Helpful Girl

• I hate to admit but yes, image is fundamental especially when dating someone. The reason why is because our instinct is to reproduce and find a partner that is healthy. The attraction will always start by the image. Personality and character are a plus that obviously make you even more attractive.

0|1
    0|0
    • How is our primary instinct to reproduce and find a partner who is healthy exactly? Like our primary instinct?

• Lol I meant “primitive” instinct...

• Okay then. How is it our primitive instinct? And why do we need physical attraction for that?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 46

• If we are truly into you, (like women do) we'll "overlook" flaws. You don't have to be "perfect", nor should anyone expect it (nobody is). I've been attracted to all different types of women, even ones I wouldn't classify as "my type". Personality plays a big part in that overall attraction.

4|1
    0|0
  • That might be the hardest question ever... I'm plain haywire here.

I would relate my answer to the environment she's in, because I see no other way...

For example, I picked up a girl (6.5/10) on the street the other week because she was tall. I approached her from the back and she was skinny (ney), blonde (I like brunettes instead - I never had a blonde girlfriend!), tall (yey, I'm 6'2"), appeared titless (no importance whatsoever), having 4 pounds of makeup and false eyelashes (major "ney") and braces (no importance). We got out on a date and can't get her out of my head since! She has a very nice peachy ass as well! 🍑😍

Yesterday, at a 4-star hotel, I walked by a definitely 10/10 tall, titfull, brunette model girl that although we had a mutual stare going on, I was like" ney" because I quickly spotted her lower lip to be more inwards than her upper lip, so...

Basically, what I'm saying, if you're a 6.5, stay on the street, don't enter 4* hotels! 😂

6.5 on the street > 10 in the hotel

0|0
    0|0
  • Everybody has some flaws, so it really wouldn't be fair if I didn't want to date someone who isn't flawless. And as always, no matter what you think is wrong with you, there's always someone who really likes exactly that thing

1|0
    0|0
    • Well, I imagine if you've been together for some time now without seeing each other naked there has to be some other kind of connection. And if he can't look over your flaws, it's probably better if you don't work out in the long run

• due to my insecurities though, I freeze every time I'm sitting and he wants to hug me or touch my thighs. I always push his hands away because I'm a little ashamed of my body. I just can't help it.

• I can't really help with that, other than saying that you're gonna have to trust him enough to let him touch/see you at some point. You can't hide yourself permanently, without also hurting him. And as I said, if he really loves you, it'll all work out (and probably be a lot more enjoyable too)

• If having some body flaws was a deal breaker, no one would ever date, as we all have body flaws. There has to be a degree of sexual attractiveness for there to be a relationship. Sexual attractiveness is not just the body, but how she laughs, is she kind, and all kinds of other things.

1|0
    0|0
  • when you're dating someone you're going to accept the way they look, and if the falls for you, he's going to love your flaws. its more about if he feels attracted to you, to start dating in the first place

0|0
    0|0
  • Physical attraction is important. I like girls of most shapes & sizes, as long as they take some pride in themselves. Everyone has flaws. If a woman can accept mine, she's an angel in my eyes and I couldn't care less about hers.

2|1
    0|0
  • I prefer a woman who is overweight. What I don't like is when she is self conscious about it. Hiding under the covers and turning off the lights. Like the guy you are with doesn't know what you look like naked. Not only does he know how you look naked, he probably likes how you look naked.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, extremely important. But at the same time if you already like a person you can over look the little things.

In my head I was thinking I should be willing to date a bigger girl. It's just weight it doesn't matter. But the feeling that you're not happy with them doesn't go away so I think it would just be better for me if I was truly honest to myself and don't twist myself do things I don't want to do just to be more accepting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Weight matters to guys the same way height matters to women.
    Think about this for a second - weight is a good sign of your day to day decisions, your dietary intake for example. Height is genetic lotterly. As soon as your out the womb the verdict is out like, "You gonna be short for life fam..."

0|0
    0|0
  • Its extremely important. If I'm gonna date a girl and there comes sex from it and she gets pregnant then my child is going to spend the next 9 months in her womb which is are crucial to the rest of its life.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have dated chubby girls in the past. they were good to me. But its not a body type im physically attracted to. Fit girls are hot af. Unfortunately they are not friendly open on account of the barrage of attention they get. Hence im still single

0|1
    0|0
  • having some flaws and being a little chubby isn´t a problem. however for me personally being morbidly obese or "fat" is a problem i can´t ignore. i know there are lots of guys that don't have a problem with it or even like it and prefer it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Like woman, we are attracted to better looking females. I know some people that don't really mind on things like size and weight etc, but just my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
    • Especially if the dating goes further, and you become proper partners. I think physical attraction is a real thing that needs to be there, otherwise you're just not going to be completely happy with each other, and the relationship might not last.

• It's important but I don't know if I would say fundamental. And people define overweight very differently. Personally I like thick girls but I don't consider them overweight or obese

1|0
    0|0
  • By commonly accepted weight standards, yes. Guys can probably over look bmi being above average, but O-beast? Nope.

0|0
    3|1
  • I would date a fat chick but If she doesn't have an attractive face I will never see much more than a friend unless she's one of those rare few girls who because of their personality they become attractive

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends what you call overweight and what kind flaws she has. If she is curvy/thick, I love it but if she is a land whale, that's a huge no. Also, if her flaws are selfish, bitchy, manipulative, hypocritical or feminist, it's a big no as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd never be able to date an overweight chick, because I wouldn't want to have sex with her.

0|1
    1|0
  • A positive body image does not depend on weigh. It depends on how a girl or guy treat her/his body. It depends on the confidence of the person in herself/himself.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure a nice looking body is more attractive at first.

With a nice looking body, you are able to get a man, but with a good character, you can make him stay with you.

0|0
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 2

• Some flaws are completely fine, but I have to find the person physically attractive in order to be able to date them.

1|3
    0|0
  • to me, yes I'm kinda picky

0|3
    0|0

Recommended myTakes