Girls, would you be happy with your man working a blue collar job?

Working in a factory, construction or on an assembly line for instance. Girls, would you be happy with your man working a blue collar job?
  • Yes, not a problem
  • No, i want him do aim for more than that
  • It depends (please explain)
    Vote C
  • See results (for guys)
    Vote D
Well at least the majority here say it's not a problem

8334

Most Helpful Girl

• Your question makes an assumption that if a woman says no it must be because she views that career choice as having less value than others. This simply may not be a true assumption. First, there are many jobs in the trades that pay much better than “white collar” jobs.

I personally wouldn’t have a problem with my guy doing blue collar work. On the other hand it is highly unlikely that he would ever choose it on his own. If you took a look at a personality inventory of people choosing between blue collar or white collar work you will likely find a strong correlation between certain personality types and certain job types when the person is freely selecting between the two. Therefore, I find it highly unlikely that I would become involved with some working in the trades but if my guy wanted to do that then I’m cool with it. So I guess my answer is both yes and no.

• What if it wasn't what he really wanted but he's actually happy doing it? I know people who have no idea what the want until they start doing something and end up liking it.

• Hey, nerds can be powerful. Actually having learned how to use the most advanced explosives, I'd say some nerds are down right dangerous. ;-)

• "you will likely find a strong correlation between certain personality types and certain job types "

I've worked in both the trades and engineering for a number of years each. Yes, there are different personalities, but I think that's more on the surface. I don't think it's that certain personalities choose one or the other so much as the work itself affects them. Rough work can harden a person. Working in an environment like many of the trades can socialize you in different ways. Like the saying "cussing like a sailor". I think it's the environment that causes that more than a cussing type of person choosing that work.

There are a LOT of people who used to work in offices, some in fairly high positions, who switch over to construction work for health reasons, exercise, fresh air, and less office politics. Office workers need to find some kind of stress relief. Construction workers don't need it, because the work itself is stress relief.

Most Helpful Guy

• If a guy wants to make money at a young age, this is the way to go, instead of dicking around getting into debt getting a degree, in most cases.

Vocational degrees are important, I'll grant.

But too many people turn up their noses at this kind of job, in complete ignorance of the remuneration involved. Their loss.

• is one of these your job?

• Here in the USA there is a shortage for skilled labor jobs. The median age for these jobs is really high and these industries need a youth infusion.

• @Prof_Don Same in the UK.

Yet for reasons that I'm clearly to dumb to understand, our political classes prefer to import skilled labour from abroad, in preference to setting up a half-decent apprenticeship scheme.