Girls, would you be happy with your man working a blue collar job?

Working in a factory, construction or on an assembly line for instance. Girls, would you be happy with your man working a blue collar job?

• Yes, not a problem
  • No, i want him do aim for more than that
  • It depends (please explain)
    Vote C
  • See results (for guys)
    Vote D
6d
Well at least the majority here say it's not a problem

8234

What Girls Said 82

• Yes, completely.

• Who would build our buildings, railroads, freeways, even fix our cars. We need men who are good in these jobs. And anyone who says they do it because they are lazy about getting an education are wrong. It takes a lot of learning and hard work to do these jobs.

• Construction may be a traditionally "blue collar job" but they make a lot more than most careers, even lawyers and doctors.

• Your question makes an assumption that if a woman says no it must be because she views that career choice as having less value than others. This simply may not be a true assumption. First, there are many jobs in the trades that pay much better than “white collar” jobs.

I personally wouldn’t have a problem with my guy doing blue collar work. On the other hand it is highly unlikely that he would ever choose it on his own. If you took a look at a personality inventory of people choosing between blue collar or white collar work you will likely find a strong correlation between certain personality types and certain job types when the person is freely selecting between the two. Therefore, I find it highly unlikely that I would become involved with some working in the trades but if my guy wanted to do that then I’m cool with it. So I guess my answer is both yes and no.

• 6d

What if it wasn't what he really wanted but he's actually happy doing it? I know people who have no idea what the want until they start doing something and end up liking it.

• 6d

Hey, nerds can be powerful. Actually having learned how to use the most advanced explosives, I'd say some nerds are down right dangerous. ;-)

• 6d

"you will likely find a strong correlation between certain personality types and certain job types "

I've worked in both the trades and engineering for a number of years each. Yes, there are different personalities, but I think that's more on the surface. I don't think it's that certain personalities choose one or the other so much as the work itself affects them. Rough work can harden a person. Working in an environment like many of the trades can socialize you in different ways. Like the saying "cussing like a sailor". I think it's the environment that causes that more than a cussing type of person choosing that work.

There are a LOT of people who used to work in offices, some in fairly high positions, who switch over to construction work for health reasons, exercise, fresh air, and less office politics. Office workers need to find some kind of stress relief. Construction workers don't need it, because the work itself is stress relief.

• Depends. The actual reality is, if the two of us were able to support our lifestyle together, there is no legit reason he cannot work a blue collar job or that I would not want him to. Secondarily, perhaps if he is working that job on the way to taking college courses, or moving up in the world to make ends meet until he can get a better job, again, no problems with that.

However, if the situation were that both he and I could not comfortably afford to live on our salaries, I would be hard pressed to say, there is nothing wrong with that situation or his job because struggling to pay bills is a thing I've had to do for years in my younger days, and I have no intention of going back to that if I can help it. I would expect if I had some job that also could not sustain us, that he too would want me to find something that paid the bills. There is nothing to say that if our situation changed, that he could not then go back to the blue collar job if he really did love it and it was his passion, but if you can't keep the lights on together, that's a problem.

• Nope, the only problem I’d have with it would be the long shifts and the laundry and they aren’t deal breakers.
    I live in a mining town, so many of our friends and family work blue collar jobs, hubby is the only one in his family that doesn’t. It’s a hard and exhausting industry

• 6d

I think I’ve termed my answer wrong with your question 😛 I mean, no I don’t have a problem working blue collar which in your options is “yes, not a problem”

• 6d

Yeah I got it 👍🏻😛

• 6d

by the way, those saying they want ambitious and career orientated? My brother in law was on six figures by the time he was 22 and has only gone up... how many guys working in an office get that even with a uni degree?

• dirty hands, clean money. as long as he's loyal to me, I'll help him and support him and love him.

• I wouldn't care at all. Everyone has to start somewhere. College wasn't an option for many of us right out of high school.
    My guy worked at a factory for probably 15 years. Started at the bottom and ended as a plant manager making 75k a year. A hard days work keeps you humble 😘

The company ended up going under due to the economy and shifting needs of the customers vs the products they offered.

• If it's a job that he enjoys and is fine with his own income, I won't have a problem. However, if he came home every night stressed and angry because the job doesn't fulfill him, and would complain about money and stuff, I would try to motivate him to aim higher, not because of me, but for him.

• Wouldn’t bother me as long as he’s working and preferably enjoyed what he did.

• I answered depends, because if in the end he's not happy or we are struggling then no. We both look for better jobs and try to find something that most resembles what we like.

• Yes, especially if it's something he enjoys or wants to do. My boyfriend works construction and he absolutely loves it. He treats it like art. However, since I'm close to graduating college, he's decided to shoot for something bigger and I fully support him.

• He's trying to support us however he can. I'm not so prideful as to be angry that he's working his ass off for us just because it isn't a "great" job. My boyfriend is a dishwasher now, but he works nearly 12 hours a day and pulls in $820 a paycheck. I couldn't be more proud of him, even if it isn't major my high pay for so many hours.

• My boyfriend already does. I don’t mind it in the slightest, it’s what he wants to do.

• I work a blue collar job myself, so of course I wouldn't mind if he worked a blue collar job as well.

• Not an issue with me. I have a several friends that work construction/plumbing/electrician and dauuum if they work a large project they're able to earn quite a bit.

• 6d

As you can see. The eye is still on the money lol

• 6d

Not that the only focus is on the money, simply stating that it's a good earning trade as many look lowly on it thinking that it must pay average since one dosen't require a degree.

Overall, if the guy is a good man, I love him and he works a clean and honest job in where he enjoys his work, I'd support him.

• Absolutely, if he wanted to go further than that, id do everything in my power to get him there, but if he's happy where he is, than so am I.

• My Husband is a very good Brick and Blocklayer.. has his own company with 4 bricklayers and a labourer employed.. i love that he can create. i love that he's good with tools and machinery. i love that he's tough as nails rough around the edges and that he works hard everyday

• 6d

And you love that he brings in a shit-ton of money too, don't ya'?

• 6d

Good for you Lauren

• 5d

I agree. My guy is a diesel mechanic. But he didn't learn going to school. He learned in the field. He doesn't make as much as those who went to school even tho he is more experienced and knows his shit unfortunately. But he's happy and good at it. We survive and that's all that matters. And he saves us a lot knowing how to fix our cars.

• Yes, why wouldn’t I. I don’t care much about luxury. As long as we have a home to love that keeps us safe and we are able to pay the bills.

• I’m from a rural area, so all but like one guy I’ve dated had a blue collar career. It’s just normal to me.

• Of course, I mean I have a lot of respect for people in the trades, they don't get enough recognition despite the fact that society wouldn't function without their hard work.

• Yea but it depends because i don’t want him to do it if it makes him miserable. Besides that he can do what he wants

• I admire a hard working man. Whether it’s working hard at a desk, under a car or on the roof of a building.

• It depends on who they are working for. Some places don’t care for their employees and my stepdad and uncle works in a steal plant and it blew up killing a few people so that would be a fear of mines. but overall yes because they have good benefits lol

• Meh, he's doing something which is good enough. It's only really crappy if they do nothing at all and expect you to take care of everything.

• meh... i don't really care where people work, as long it's not sex related.

• 6d

Or has a high death rating
      Long separation period, to much traveling
      Long stressful hours, anything over 80 hours is to much. I don't want him tired and stressed out
      All the time.

• Yes. another a problem for me

• That's fine, as long as he wouldn't be jealous of me for having a white collar job.

• I say it depends. I just want him to be happy and safe. If he feels thay those standards are met, I definitley have no problem with it.

• I work construction lol so I wouldn't care.

• More from Girls
    52

What Guys Said 34

• There are guys working for the railroad as engineers and conductors who earn more than $100,000 per year and they have excellent benefits. That is not too shabby!

• Women are fine with a guy who works a blue collar job. They just don't wanna date a man who works minimum wage.

• I'm no blue collar, but just saying, people who are saying that blue collars aren't 'intellectually stimulating' or something along those lines are oh so horribly wrong. Blue collars, sure they may not necessarily be as educated but they generally tend to be solid problem solvers, a decent to solid understanding in engineering (depending on their job of course). On top of that, quite a lot of them have an interest in politics because decisions in the Government can affect them directly even if it targets another industry.

• There's seems to be a lot of misconceptions of blue collar jobs. In reality it has plenty of pros, you could make a lot of fucking money and logically makes more sense then going for a bachelors. Blue collar jobs are hard work and develop strong work ethic, have full health benifts and good retirement plans. You rely on yourself and instead of sitting down all day you remain active stay healthy and fit.

With out a degree straight out of H. S you could be making average American wage. Within 4-6 years moving your way up the ranks you could easily be making more then 100k a year. Once those kids with the bachelors move on to the real world there 200k in debt and your already making twice as much as them.

A manger at the Oakland port makes between 12-15k a month! With no degree required, why would I go to college 4-6 years just to possibly make 70-80k a year. So yea those who say they don't want a blue collar guy are just arrogant preppy girls who think with out a degree there's no success.

• 6d

The health plans with most blue collar jobs are amazing. Thanks to my father being a miner I was able to stay on his health plan until I was 25 and the gave me a summer job working surface maitance that allowed me to pay for tuiton and residence for four years of University. Thanks to that place I was able to get a Bachelors with absolutley no debt. The perks are there.

• 6d

You know how much your dad would make?

• 6d

I'm not sure the exact amount but it was somewhere around 75,000 a year. Working 14 days on 14 days off.

• If a guy wants to make money at a young age, this is the way to go, instead of dicking around getting into debt getting a degree, in most cases.

Vocational degrees are important, I'll grant.

But too many people turn up their noses at this kind of job, in complete ignorance of the remuneration involved. Their loss.

• 6d

is one of these your job?

• 6d

Here in the USA there is a shortage for skilled labor jobs. The median age for these jobs is really high and these industries need a youth infusion.

• 6d

@Prof_Don Same in the UK.

Yet for reasons that I'm clearly to dumb to understand, our political classes prefer to import skilled labour from abroad, in preference to setting up a half-decent apprenticeship scheme.

• Those saying education is crucial:
    I'm a highschool dropout and I earn 2k a month. How much do you earn with your PhD? How about all those years you spent learning? Is it really worth in the end?

• It's kind of odd that many people think those kinds of jobs don't take much intelligence. There are actually plenty of people with BA or MA degree that can't do most of those kinds of jobs.
    Hell, a lot of people with an MA degree can't even figure out how to change the plugs and wires on a car correctly, or patch a wall so it looks as good as new.

• Why does a job matter in a relationship?

Doesn't all that matter is supporting your partner in every regard. If this means they enjoy being a blue collar worker, you need to back it

The aside is there is good coin in a lot of blue collar jobs :). Which eliminates the pay connotation

• At times I wished I had a blue color job tbh. I hate being in an office.

• 6d

I've done both. Trades when you are young. Office when you are old. Not the other way around.

Or instead of moving to office work when you get older, move into a supervisory position. Or start you own company, which is very easy to do with many trades.

By the way. I've known a LOT of people who got the hell out of office jobs and went into some type of construction. I even met an ex bank president who became a house painter just because it was lower stress.

• This is a topic that always has me cracking up, tbh. Women like to "claim" they don't care about money or the employment status (or type) of their men, but that's simply not true in most cases.

There are a lot of women who simply refuse to date a man without a lot of money and a good, stable job.

How many women do you know who refuse to date a wealthy man?

Exactly. It may be true that a woman can still be happy with a guy who just works for a living, but it's also true that those same women would be happier, put up with more bad things, if they were with a guy who was wealthy.

• Working construction is completely different from working in a factory or assembly line. Construction is something that people have to study for years, and the only people that do it is people that actually enjoy it. But seriously, in construction you have to study architecture, geometry, actual construction, and so much more. Construction is a very rigorous career

• The job isn't as important as the earnings. The vast majority of women in the west expect to marry up, regardless of how much they make to begin with. In fact, the more educated and privileged a woman is, the more she expects to marry someone who makes more than her.

• 6d

I was always told no matter what I do in life to find a man to take care of me lol so marrying up was always taught.

• 2d

@YcleptLove Well duh. That's what all women expect. The problem is, the women who make a decent amount of money have made their pickings VERY slim, given that only a select few men make more than them. Essentially, if they all expect to marry up, 75% of those women are going to wind up unmarried. Expectations vs. reality.

• from what i know most girls don't. But they are ok with it if he's either hot and has a good savings account

Cause a blue collared job with good saving habits still give you a good bank account she can leech off of lol

Most girls i see and know spend their shit and they now have houses mainly cause hubby's savings not hers

• 6d

But depends the type of girl and her family
      I think it comes down lot to do with her family. If her family teachers her good values then its cool. If her family pushes for her to marry a dcotor. Well good luck now lol

• For those who think he should aim higher, please wear your gold digger armband. If he's happy and finds a sense of fulfilment in blue collar work, who are you to look down on him?

• 6d

But everyone should aim for better than what they have , if it's nothing wrong with that.

• 6d

There's having aspirations and there's being a snob. Surely, you can tell the difference?

• I hope most girls won't have a problem with that, otherwise we're in a shitty world :o :-(

• Ain't nothing wrong with a hard hat and a hammer.
    https://youtu.be/CwQ5FKX02kg
    If more women worked blue collar jobs there'd be no "gender pay gap".

• Filipinos too sweet in general 😋

• I see these posts of "I'm doing this with my life and if you're not doing this then I don't see it working" well I don't have a degree. I mean I'm working very slow to one. Regardless of that I'm a diesel mechanic, and I enjoy it. The only reason I'm not going for a degree very hard is the fact that the location I work is a family business. I know quite a few guys in the same boat as me that has a blue collar business in their family. My question is This, would that be an exception to how those girls feel? If so I don't understand that logic so explain please.

• There's nothing wrong with the trades- there are some times I wish I'd become an electrician.

• Been there done that, good honest work.

• Was just going through answers. People put a lot of ifs and buts in answers lol

• Beats having no job

• Lotta lies here

• Look at my profile pic... I am that kind of man 😒

• A woman shouldn't have a problem if he's WORKING period.

• Yes, not a problem

• I know some women who prefer it.

• Here for the results

• blue collar job man means that he depends on himself he does all the work at home himself he dosn't like to hire people to do any work at home he is very active , hardworking problems solver and healthy

what else do you want?

• saw that lol

• More from Guys
    4