Who should pay on the first date?

So I recently got asked out this past weekend. I initially said no and asked the guy if he could wait till next week when I got paid. He insisted that he would pay, etc, etc. okay. So I went out with him. It wasn't a great date. Kinda awkward. But I definitely did not have a good time. He was rude to our waiter, and then said something along the lines of "if you have a bunch of guy friends, that basically means they just all want to sleep with you. You can't talk to any of them if you're with me". I didn't respond to that comment. But he made a lot of degrading comments about women. I had NO idea he was like this. We work together. And he had been nothing but nice and respectful. Well, the following Monday, he asked if I would like to go out again and I said no. So he decided to make this whole big deal about how I owe him money for my part of the date.

I mean, I'll pay him back. But, why do guys like this exist? And how do I avoid this for the future? I had offered to wait it out until I got paid, but I've noticed that most guys get weirded out when I offer to pay.

07

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all I would definitely say that this guy sounds like a prick. Insults aside I do think that you should never expect someone to pay for your food etc on a first date. Splitting the bill is NOT bad in any shape or form as it shows you are both independent and can pay for yourself. Only when things get a little more serious does paying on someone's behalf become more acceptable. I hope in your case however that you don't continue to see this person as he sounds pathetic. Next time you go on a date at least take some money with you or let your date know that you haven't got enough money prior to planning anything. It's never bad to ask to split and if I knew my date didn't come out with money then it would instantly give me the impression she's not of the independent sort.

• Can you read? Or just don't know how? I told him beforehand that I couldn't afford to go on a date and asked him if he could wait until payday. It has nothing to do with not being independent. I use whatever left over money I have to pay my student loans. I'm almost done. I told him to wait until payday because I had no money and HE INSISTED ON PAYING. I NEVER assumed he would pay.

• Looks like you had a shit date sweetie, naww never mind I'm sure you will have plenty more guys turn you the fuck down. Fucking sponge.

• And don't go telling me you turned him down because he turned you down the moment he started acting up whilst coming to the realisation of what a shit date you was. Get the fuck out of here trash. Learn manners or get treated like a fucking dog