Mental illness and dating?

If you have a diagnosed mental illness, when is it the best time to tell your date? From the start, later, or not at all? I have social anxiety and have a hard time picking up on just social things in general (for example: flirting). I've seen other questions on here where people say they wouldn't even try to date someone who's mentally ill, so is it better to tell people straight up what you have and drive most dates away? Or tell them later or not at all?
  • Tell them from the start
  • Tell them later
  • Don't tell them at all
    Vote C

412

Most Helpful Guy

• Tell from the start, but maybe mental illness is a very strong way to say it. You can mention that you have social anxiety and the implications of it, I'm sure that using this term won't have the same impact as saying that you're mentally ill and it'll give him the message the same way.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell them when you know you trust them