Is it really the weight or is it the person?

I wish I could put up a photo to show what I mean but I guess I don't have enough Xper points yet.

Suppose there's a woman who weighs 170 lbs and she loses 50 lbs and becomes 120 lbs.

She's the same person. She has the same ideas, the same attitude, the same thoughts and feelings. She might be fun or a little boring. She might be smart or a little silly. She may be caring or selfish at times. But nothing has changed except that she lost 50 lbs.

Is it guaranteed that she's going to get approached more by strangers (either in person or online) just because she's thinner?

Assume someone who's an average nice person, but not particularly outstanding in any other way. Her online dating profile has the same text before and after.
  • Yes, she will get approached more but not necessarily get dates
  • Yes guys will ask her out on dates right away because she's more attractive
  • No, a guy still judges primarily on personality
    Vote C

119

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering I like to keep fit, I'm certainly going to be interested in a woman who also takes care of their body by exercising to keep fit. Which in turn means I am more interested in women who are physically slim or fit. It's cool if they are more fit than me, so long as they don't try using me as their weights to bench press or a kick boxing cushion, lol. (sigh... that probably doesn't sound as funny as I'm thinking it does)

Regardless it's all personal preference, mine is to find a girlfriend who is fit and likes going for jogs and canoe trips and similar.

• Yeah, I hear you. For me it's not that I don't want to, but I work full time and have a long commute, and I have a house and a son, so I just don't have the time or energy to work out a lot. I took my son canoeing a few years ago hoping he would like it. He hated every second.

So its not entirely my choice. I would love to do more outdoor stuff. would love to be a great shape like I was when I was younger. Its so frustrating.

its also true that I'm really lonely and sometimes the only joy I have in an entire day - with a thankless job and a thankless teenager at home - is food. I hate to say it but its true.

sometimes the only thing that makes my life worth living is a donut or burger and fries.

• Totally. At the moment I have braces so salad is really tough to eat. I never thought that I would miss salad but I really do.

My mouth hurts all the time, so I tend to gravitate towards warm, soft comfort foods. I am really REALLY hoping I'll get them off in January and can go back to eating things like granola bars and popcorn and salads.

• And yes, I've been looking for a new job for 3 years but they would all be worse than what I have now or require me to move and I don't want to take my son out of his school

Most Helpful Girl

• Sadly, once you lose weight and become thinner people start to treat you differently. They start to treat you better and get interested just because you lost some pounds even if your heart and mind has stayed the same.
    It is the judgement of our world, one where outward appearances can immediately change someones attitude about you.