Anyone with depression, or has had depression, I need your opinion?

I've recently been dating this guy who told me one night that he suffers from severe depression. At first, I felt like he was leading me on and wasn't interested. He would ignore my messages but then would message me hours later saying "did you forget about me". He told me that majority of days he doesn't want to talk to people. Is there a possibility that this boy doesn't like me, or is this common thing for people with depression? Do they push people aside, even the ones they like?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• He is being honest with you. The worst you could do is not trust his honesty. I get depression sometimes and I don't want to chat or see people when I'm in that mood. Just give him space but let him know that you're still there and you're not going anywhere no matter how long it takes.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it is very normal. I sometimes don't respond to my phone or messages for days simply because I don't have the energy or motivation. What I find strange in this case is instead of responding to your original message, he texts, "Did you forget about me?" much later. That kind of seems more like he wants you to chase him.

He probably does like you and you could pursue something with him. However you should definitely be aware, that it's going to be very hard for him to be in a healthy romantic relationship until he works on himself a bit first.

The stress of a normal relationship could actually end up making him worse if his original condition isn't treated first. As he grows closer to you, his depression may appear to find when he is actually finding happiness in you. This sounds like it would be a good thing, but it's not.

If you all began fighting or having issues, like most couples do, he could end up taking a swing for the worst back down in the dumps. I say be a supportive friend and encourage him to get help.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• I have depression and I don't so much push people aside.

I just don't talk to people. Not because there is anything wrong. I just don't.

Then when I do talk to them it's like nothing has changed at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've had depression for like 4-5years and well yea ita common i often push people away and even more if i like them so it hurts less :/ i often would prefer to stay inside and talk to no one all day

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah its common for people with depression or depressive symptoms

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• yes it is common for people with depression to push people aside, but if you are trying to pursue a relationship with him he needs to let you in. While he can't help feeling that well it could be really hard on you to be pushed away all the time, you need to take a step back and decide if you're okay with that

0|0
    0|0
    • Honestly as someone with depression its not how it will happen its not that he won't let you in you are the only one who can let yourself in you just gotta use the right key

• @dragau4 i had depression too and I disagree, it affects people differently, you can't say how it works in my opinion is wrong.

• didn't think about it well shell have to see which type he is

• No. It's common during depression to talk like that. If you really like him, stay by his side and support him, help him with his decisions. That's all he needs.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yep, he probably likes you, maybe.
    If he's depressed, he might just ignore messages because he has no will to even see people.
    I can relate to ignoring messages, even though I don't mean it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's been a while since I've had bad depression but I used to get it all the time as a teen and yes I pushed everyone away, even my best friends. I was so afraid to tell them because I thought they would just laugh it off and say I was faking it.
    It's hard because everyone is different when depression, all I wanted when I had it was to be left alone but I also just wanted someone to talk to, who I could tell everything to and they would understand, and let me vent.
    Of course everyone is different.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup common thing

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes