What kind of advice can I give a coworker about his crush who happens to be an OLDER WOMAN?

I'm best friends with a coworker of mine (let's call him John). He has a HUGE crush on this other coworker of ours that is 23. We're all cooks at a restaurant. John is 17 and I'm 18. Before anyone talks about the legality of it, we live in Texas. 17 is the age of consent. Even if I do find it weird.

He he keeps asking advice on how to ask her out. They talk and joke around. But I don't know how to tell him that I don't approve of it. It's not my place. I don't approve because not only is she older, she's also the type of girl that drinks and goes to concerts and stuff. John is a pretty naive person and kind of sheltered, goes to church type of guy. She would probably corrupt him. And I don't think she'd be interested in him either.

What can can I say to him?

04

Most Helpful Guy

• It isn't your concern how old she is.

What is your concern could be that she can get fired and your employer can get sued.

You should just tell him what is probably the truth: She would probably rather date a man in his 40s than a boy in high school. He should try again in 5 years.

• They allow the crew to date. It isn't against policy. It also isn't illegal since 17 is age of consent here. But what would make a 17 year old think they have a chance with someone who's 23?

• You can't be helped if you don't understand that it's LEGAL in Texas for a 17 year old to sleep with a 23 year old.

• It is legal in some cases, but not others.

There are plenty of young men in federal prison right now who are there because it is "legal" for a 17 year old to consent to sex in the state she lives in.