Really confused as to why he'd say this...(I realize you can't read minds), but what could he mean by this?

Went out with him a few times, he was really responsive and things seemed to be going well. All of a sudden he became less responsive, but not like uninterested (if that makes sense), it's just meeting up was becoming difficult. I tried a last ditch attempt and said I enjoyed getting to know/meet him and told him I just wanted to end on good terms in my goodbye message (my last words to him). He told me (his last words to me) that I didn't do anything wrong and that he didn't think he could do any of this with anyone right now because he had a lot going on in his personal life at the moment. Then he apologized saying sorry he probably "came off as a dick for not responding". If your purpose is to ignore or fade someone why would you say such a thing? I was confused why he stopped responding, but now it's just worse, I'd rather be ghosted.

21