Can heterosexual guys and girls really just be friends without one (or both) ever being attracted to the other and wanting more?

Personally, I think they can, but what do you think?
  • Yes
  • No

929

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it can happen. But researchers find that usually, when a guy and girl are friends, there is some degree of sexual interest, usually by the guy. The research also shows that the girl if often oblivious to this. This does not mean they can't have a good, non-sexual relationship for many years. It does mean, the majority of the time, the guy, and sometimes both, have to deal with some degree of sexual attraction, and work through it. I have had girls that were good friends. Occasionally, for some there was no sexual attraction. For the others, I simply set the sexual attraction aside, as the friendship was important, and I didn't want any kind of sexual action or intent to ruin it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I’m not sure. My closest friends are 2 straight guys and with one of them, our friendship starting with him trying to date me. With the other, we’ve been friends for almost 4 years now and he’s expressed romantic interests in me many times but I just brush it off. I do flirt with him a bit sometimes but nothing crazy. Aside from those two, EVERY close male friendship I have ever had included the guy wanting to be my boyfriend at some point in our friendship.

I think that even if you aren’t the one showing the attraction in the other person, they may be secretly attracted to you. Friendships are usually caring and nurturing relationships which is something many people want from an SO.

Your partner is usually your best friend so if you are attracted to them physically, you will probably want more from someone who is just your friend.