Would you perform a background check on someone before you go out with him or her?

Background checks have become more popular before deciding to hire someone or even give credit to others. Would you perform a background check on someone to make sure there's nothing wrong with who you're looking to go out with?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• For me it doesn't matter.. cuz I am very good in judging characters.. and by good means really very fucking good. I can even know what she wants by talking to her in first 5 mins. So yeah my judgement never got wrong

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I always check the sex offender registry for a guy's name before dating him. I have an underage daughter to protect. I once dated a guy who I thought was a good guy until I got an anonymous tip from someone, telling me to watch the guy around my daughter because he had raped anonymous's 14 year old relative. After I did some searching into his history, I seen that he had 2 charges of sex with underage females against him. I was so disgusted. I'm glad that the anonymous person warned me before he met my daughter. Now I always check guys' backgrounds out first.

3|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • That is really something. You already have a daughter that is 14, you have a job cut out for you. these background checks can be alright but I hate seeing people cut off for something that sounds horrible but was a stupid college stunt. I have passed many background checks but if it is as inaccurate as my credit checks then I could be in trouble.

• @readywriter It depends on what the person did. If it was something stupid, I might let it go. I once dated a guy who had vandalism on his record from when he was in his teen's. He was in his 30's and had no other record and when I asked him about it, apparently it was a dumb high school stunt. I didn't end our relationship over that. But this other guy had 2 charges against him of sex with underage females. That wasn't just a stupid college stunt. He was a grown man in his late 30's, a predator preying on underage girls. With those kinds of guys I do not offer any sympathy or understanding.

• I get you, and I agree. Sexual offenses are bad no matter what kind. It doesn't show on checks like you got but when I was in the army I got into a bad fight and busted the guys arm. I was drinking and just back from Vietnam and I was having trouble relaxing. I was on my guard all the time. But while it sounds bad, I didn't start it and it did take a couple years before I felt like I fit in again. That would be a felony today. I was over sensitive about what people would say and stuff. I would hope that it would be something that could be explained. Maybe not your generation but a older gal like I might date.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• If anyone and I do not care what age group they are even thinks about running a background check on a person before they decide even to go out with them clearly indicates they have doubts and do not trust the person at all and that is not the proper way to start a friendship that could possibly turn into a relationship...

0|0
    0|0
  • My sister-in-law did a background check on her husband before they went out for the first time. She found out he owned a gun (she's a Republican but anti-gun for some reason). But... she was a prosecutor and he was a deputy sheriff at the time. It was easy and free for her to do a background check and he had a reason to have a gun so it worked out.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it is a violation of trust. Plus background checks are bullshit ways of discrimination in jobs. Lots of good people I know cannot get jobs, because they have a criminal record due to their past mistakes, or due to the short comings of the law itself. Get to know the person then learn about their history.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you know, what I would do? I would download image of their brain, put it in virtual environment and in that, I would create different scenarios, like we going out etc., and I would watch the responses. I would learn, how to achieve what I want, then I would execute it.

0|0
    0|0
  • If there is anything that doesn't seem totally honest or I find a contradiction, I do. Many counties have arrest records online.

But I also do a quick check of facebook, twitter, and instagram usually.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you should perform a background check before letting someone with your sensitive information or going out with a stranger. It's a rough world. People can do anything now for money or revenge.

0|0
    1|0
  • No but I can definitely see the merit in it. I would kind of want to know if there were any huge red flags. Like a bunch of crippling debt or crimes on their record.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I would like to trust them without being paranoid about their past. However if there are signs that they are not completely trustworthy I may do a background check.

0|0
    0|0
  • But don't act like a stalker on social medias, just act like you want to know her more and ask questions

0|0
    0|0
  • what exactly is this "backround check"? i don't think there's something like that available in germany XD

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but I would before I married her. I at least need her credit score before I think about getting serious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to ask questions that are important to me. Otherwise how am I suppose to know who am I dealing with?

0|0
    0|0
  • A background check is something you have to pay for, so no, probably not. I'll just have to rely on my judge of character.

0|0
    0|0
  • A background check, no. That's seems like something a person with an unhealthy distrustful nature would do. Now if this was someone you met online, or a dating website, or app, I would certainly consider looking at their Facebook profile as a normal healthy cautious step to take.
    But if this was someone you knew through friends, or work, or social gatherings then you really shouldn't have any major concerns. There is such a thing as double dates, if you or said person is that nervous about the person they are having a first date with.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i would do a background check on a girl before i decide to meet her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe. But if I had a suspicion, there probably wouldn't be a first date.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I find out someone does that to me, even though i have no criminal record, i would dump them

0|0
    0|0
  • if i even considered this i would know i am not suited for any type of relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • I only exchange first names before a first date, so that would be hard for them to do...

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol sure, why not check their tax receipts too, so hot.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• I don't even do a Google search, which I have heard many people do.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's someone from dating site or a random guy in a bar, yes. I always try to find them on social media first and check if they seem reliable. This one guy from Tinder seemed so shady once and he didn't even have social media, like nothing. I asked him to send me the copy of his scanned ID card before I went out with him. :D

2|0
    0|0
  • If I felt like I needed to do a background check on a guy I was going to go on a date with, I would seriously question my wisdom in choosing a date and my ability to pick someone I actually trust.

in my opinion, you feel like you need to background check someone, you need to get to know them more, or build your trust or something.

My type of background check is to question them politely for an extended period of time before going anywhere with them. If you fail the questions, you fail the test. Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but I would google him and try to get an idea of him a little.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wtf no

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah not really

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm too poor to do that.

0|0
    0|0
  • No i like surprises

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe, maybe not. Depends on my mood.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because I dated someone I had known for 2 years prior and then realized he was a pedophile and got mad at people who knew he was and didn't tell me.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes I would search about him

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I have. I do research when I was dating online. And one time I was glad I did do the research. The man's pic on the dating site was about 15 years old. Come to find out he was in his 50's not in his late 30s. He was also married.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes