Guy who I've just started dating messages me every time I appear online... why?

He messages me often, all throughout the day most days, but sometimes I'll ask for a little bit of space if I'm trying to work on a project or am socialism by with friends. However if I just pop online to check texts even if I don't plan on starting any conversations, he'll message me straight away instead of waiting for me to message him. Don't get me wrong, it's flattering and I really do like him but sometimes I just want a bit of space.
Why does he do this?

11