High standards, or low standards?

People always talk about quality over quantity (unless you're a hooker of course). When it comes to making the decision about who you want to live for the rest of your life with, or even just who you want to go out for a movie with, everyone wants to be sure about it. However, not everyone goes about it the same way. Some of us have very high standards, where as some people aren't quite as picky. I for one have very high standards, but a lot of my friends don't. Generally speaking, we raise our standards as we date more people, but is there such a thing as too many standards?
Ladies/Gentlemen, what do you think? Would you say you have low standards, or high standards? Why? Is it better to have lower or higher standards? Is there such a thing as too little or too great amount of standards? Please share your thoughts. High standards, or low standards??

• I have high standards
  • I have low standards

186

Most Helpful Girl

• Those are very good questions to answer. I would start with the overall questions in order.

1. Yes and no. You can have too many, but most people don't have enough. At the same time it depends what those standards are. Realistic or unrealistic. Personal standards or Physical. This is key to understand. Even though I never dated, is celibate [not abstinent], I still hold those standards because it's not only important to me, it's how I live. And I live by those principals. Therefore it's only fitting [ if I wasn't celibate], to have a partner who shares, respects and or have equal values as those standards.

"Generally speaking, we raise our standards as we date more people..." This is a very large misconception. The problem with this is that people who do this tend to know have good standards at all, and wasted their time and youth on pettiness. Smart and wise people think about these things early and apply it to every relationship they get to. And they either found a person who is moving forward with them, or they didn't. This is why I always say to not get emotionally invested in somebody so fast without know what direction your heading. Besides knowing what they are about, what they believe and what values they have.

2. Is it better to have low or high standards? Well again, this goes back to what I said about what are your beliefs and values are. That includes, morals, principals, religion, faith, political views, etc about, love, sex, marriage, kids, relationships, family, finances, friends, everything that makes up who you are. If you don't care about relationships, then it won't matter if your high or low. But those who take it seriously will have higher standards. What matter is, again what is stated in #1. If it's better for either or is entirely up to people. I already know the answer for myself.

3. As to why I have those standards? Because I don't want or need a person who isn't going to value me and care about me the way I know I need to be treated. And it's bad enough I know how to treat somebody without anybody telling me how. And I definitely, don't need a person who has conflicting views and isn't concerned about anyone's welfare if a relationship was to be considered. The last thing you don't need is to get abused on any level, let alone abuse somebody else unintentionally.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have pretty high standards. The girls I find attractive are usually the "best" ones, and I do not settle for someone I only find "meh". I guess it can sometimes be annoying 'cause you're single and sometimes come across as a jerk but also you avoid a fair lot of trouble and bullshit, so...