High standards, or low standards?

People always talk about quality over quantity (unless you're a hooker of course). When it comes to making the decision about who you want to live for the rest of your life with, or even just who you want to go out for a movie with, everyone wants to be sure about it. However, not everyone goes about it the same way. Some of us have very high standards, where as some people aren't quite as picky. I for one have very high standards, but a lot of my friends don't. Generally speaking, we raise our standards as we date more people, but is there such a thing as too many standards?
Ladies/Gentlemen, what do you think? Would you say you have low standards, or high standards? Why? Is it better to have lower or higher standards? Is there such a thing as too little or too great amount of standards? Please share your thoughts. High standards, or low standards??

• I have high standards
    Vote A
  • I have low standards
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Those are very good questions to answer. I would start with the overall questions in order.

1. Yes and no. You can have too many, but most people don't have enough. At the same time it depends what those standards are. Realistic or unrealistic. Personal standards or Physical. This is key to understand. Even though I never dated, is celibate [not abstinent], I still hold those standards because it's not only important to me, it's how I live. And I live by those principals. Therefore it's only fitting [ if I wasn't celibate], to have a partner who shares, respects and or have equal values as those standards.

"Generally speaking, we raise our standards as we date more people..." This is a very large misconception. The problem with this is that people who do this tend to know have good standards at all, and wasted their time and youth on pettiness. Smart and wise people think about these things early and apply it to every relationship they get to. And they either found a person who is moving forward with them, or they didn't. This is why I always say to not get emotionally invested in somebody so fast without know what direction your heading. Besides knowing what they are about, what they believe and what values they have.

2. Is it better to have low or high standards? Well again, this goes back to what I said about what are your beliefs and values are. That includes, morals, principals, religion, faith, political views, etc about, love, sex, marriage, kids, relationships, family, finances, friends, everything that makes up who you are. If you don't care about relationships, then it won't matter if your high or low. But those who take it seriously will have higher standards. What matter is, again what is stated in #1. If it's better for either or is entirely up to people. I already know the answer for myself.

3. As to why I have those standards? Because I don't want or need a person who isn't going to value me and care about me the way I know I need to be treated. And it's bad enough I know how to treat somebody without anybody telling me how. And I definitely, don't need a person who has conflicting views and isn't concerned about anyone's welfare if a relationship was to be considered. The last thing you don't need is to get abused on any level, let alone abuse somebody else unintentionally.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have pretty high standards. The girls I find attractive are usually the "best" ones, and I do not settle for someone I only find "meh". I guess it can sometimes be annoying 'cause you're single and sometimes come across as a jerk but also you avoid a fair lot of trouble and bullshit, so...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• I've done the high standard thing AND the low standard thing- it's kind of been a similar experience across the board.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have high standard when it comes to relationships, but lower ones when it comes to just having a thing. Because for the second one, only appearance is important and not character. I lower my standard for making out because then you get more people if you want to have fun.
    I´ve already made the mistake being in relationships with guys I didn´t love or didn´t fit into my standards. didn´t last long and I´ll never do it again haha.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards on intelligence and international awareness. Many people I’ve dated are bilingual, enrolled in a masters/ PhD program, and up to date on global politics.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have low standards but I know when a Guy not attractive to me. I not attractive to tall guy's. I only attractive short guy's and younger guy's. Guys that can dance and sing. I have 4 ex boyfriend. They all fail the test. On 5 boyfriend. I only have one boyfriend at a time.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standard for personality and intelligence. He has to be able to hold up conversation that interest me and make me stay for his personality.

0|0
    0|0
  • If im being honest i have high standards... im only attracted to a select few people, then they have to have the right personality... i feel really bad about being so picky but yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • I have low standards. I'm pretty accepting of most things, there are just a few things people need to meet for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards because I only want the best for myself. I haven’t dated in a really long time because of it but I’m content with that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards but not regarding looks but morals and how he acts

0|0
    0|0
  • of course keep your standards high! but keep your expectations low, that way you can't be dissapointed. you just move on to the next until you find Mr. Right

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards and I know I'll probably never find someone to be with me :))))))):

1|0
    0|0
  • Foe me it's just the trusting part especially after a breakup.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have very high standards. I'm not talking about looks, but personality, qualities and virtues.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mine went from medium to low.

0|0
    0|0
  • High

0|0
    0|0
  • I can honestly say I have very high standards, but I dont mean physicaly, I mean for the substance of the person (his interests, his hobies, his opiniond, the way he carries himself, etc) specially after my last relationship, you learn a lot about yourself aftet a bad relationship, and Im sorrounded by people going from relationship to relationship just bc they're afraid of being alone and that's just not what I want for myself, I think one should be alone for a while in order to truly find themselves, figure out what you want in life and most of all love yourself, I really believe we one needs to know those things in order to have a successful relationship

(Im sorry If my English is not very good lol)

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards because I know what I like. But I'm happy being single without having to compromise them. I suppose an opposing example could be if someone values companionship more than an ideal partner then they may prefer to lower their initial standards to meet that preference.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• It's really weird with me. My standards are strange. I sometimes click with people I thought I'd never like. However, I'd say I have high standards when I ask someone out. I usually wouldn't reject a girl as long as she's a good person, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not even in a position to have standards, but i would say they are sort of high, if i dont feel it then i won't be attracted

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards cause I'm hot

0|2
    0|0
  • I have low standards

0|0
    0|0
  • I have high standards that I've lowered as much as possible, but still nothing...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes