Guys, Am I wasting my time?

I had a friend with benefits that I hadn't talked to for a year contact me out of nowhere. He told me he wasn't the relationship type and i was getting too attached so I cut him off. He was also an asshole about a few things that really upset me.

He recently contacted me via social media to say hi and reconnect. I was surprised. He told me he had a girlfriend for 6 months and she had deleted contacts from his phone.

My first thought was oh, I thought you weren't the relationship type. A male friend told me that means he just didn't want a relationship with me.

He's invited me out a few times. We went out over the weekend and of course he tried to have sex with me and I shut him down. Later, I sent him a message asking why he never considered legitimaely dating me before, and he said at that time he wasn't looking to date.

So I asked if he would consider it now, because I'm not doing the friends with benefits thing. He responded that he's open to the idea of dating but he has to get his head right (whatever that means).

Guys help me decipher. Waste of time?

3