Going through a rough time with my boyfriend... how do I fix it?

I've been dating my boyfriend for a month and a half and we've been close friends since middle school (we are in high school). He's goofy, funny, and caring but he's shy and not the best at communicating with me It's frustrating sometimes when I'm trying to lead him asking him questions like how was your classes? and he responds with "fine" or "good". He's also very different with his friends. He's more open with his friends than he is with me...
So my problem is I don't know how to talk to him or communicate with him. How do I make him more comfortable with me and what are some conversation starters?
(I've already had this talk with him about our communication not being A1 and he said he'll try his best but the following day when we spent lunch together he was still quiet)

65

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys can be shy and nervous around the girl they like. Just dont rush or force him or you could drive him away. Just keep trying to talk with him

Most Helpful Girl

• I love how cute you are! Also, try not to take this relationship TOO seriously. But for conversation starters, ask him what his favorite sports team, holiday etc is. Ask him his opinion on whatever... guys love to share their opinions. Ask him for advice on anything... guys love to share their opinion