Going through a rough time with my boyfriend... how do I fix it?

I've been dating my boyfriend for a month and a half and we've been close friends since middle school (we are in high school). He's goofy, funny, and caring but he's shy and not the best at communicating with me It's frustrating sometimes when I'm trying to lead him asking him questions like how was your classes? and he responds with "fine" or "good". He's also very different with his friends. He's more open with his friends than he is with me...
So my problem is I don't know how to talk to him or communicate with him. How do I make him more comfortable with me and what are some conversation starters?
(I've already had this talk with him about our communication not being A1 and he said he'll try his best but the following day when we spent lunch together he was still quiet)

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys can be shy and nervous around the girl they like. Just dont rush or force him or you could drive him away. Just keep trying to talk with him

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I love how cute you are! Also, try not to take this relationship TOO seriously. But for conversation starters, ask him what his favorite sports team, holiday etc is. Ask him his opinion on whatever... guys love to share their opinions. Ask him for advice on anything... guys love to share their opinion

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Hugs and kisses they do wonders
    But not in public though

1|0
    0|0
    • Does that bother guys?

• We are animals weather we like to admit it or not
      And just try to imagine what animals similar to us would do as a general rule of thumb and you can understand most guys' and girls' behaviour (it really works)
      In this case hugs and kisses in public would make him look soft infront of other which might bring down his self esteem as a male
      But in private there is nothing sweeter to me than cuddling with the girl i love and get all handsy with her

• I understand thanks!

• Give him some space n time he will get comfortable if u urge he might not loose his nervousness for ever

0|0
    0|0
  • He might even be a little nervous around you still

1|0
    0|0
  • Men develop a little slower, just give it time.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I've actually been going through the same thing recently. i'd say just talk to him about stuff you know he likes, and if he keeps on with the one worded responses don't pressure too much on getting him to talk.

1|0
    0|0
  • Try talking like you are just friends. Now that you guys are dating this might be adding pressure to him and that's why he might have trouble communicating. Besides him being different with his friends and not talking he sounds quite perfect. Best of luck!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Considering you've only been together about 6 weeks, it's not that strange that he's having a hard time communicating. Even though you guys have been friends for a long time, this relationship creates an entirely different dynamic. Just give it time. Eventually he'll become more comfortable, but constantly pointing out his flaws will only make him more insecure and uncomfortable. Keep trying to start conversations, but don't press him too hard.

0|0
    0|0
  • Start finding topics he likes 2 talk about. Music.. food.. television show... something u can relate on

1|0
    0|0
    • We both have a passion for volleyball and we talk about it all the time but I feel like we need some variety..

• Well you are both young , & also haven't been together long some people can take long to open up. It could be 3 months , 6 months maybe even a year or so longer until he opens up to you. Are you open with him? Maybe try engaging how he feels into a topic try to get him to talk and open up about simple things and let it build up until he's comfortable enough to be open with you. Maybe he is just scared how you will react to things he says. You have to listen to him and try to include him in conversations and try to get his opinion on topics.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm an open person in general but thank you this helped a lot!

• Show All
    • I don't think that , maybe just give it some time everyone opens up differently

Recommended myTakes