Why do girls lead good guys on?

Anonymous
I met a girl earlier this year and instantly fell for her, love a first sight kind of thing. We went out on a bunch of dates, talked all the time, laughed, and connected extremely well. This went on for a few months, and I eventually told her how I felt, and things continued great, taking it slow because I really liked her.

A few months down the road, after talking pretty much everyday, she seemed different. I asked and she said she was only interested in being friends. This was completely out of nowhere and didn't make any sense. To make it worse, she told me she made her mind up a month before and didn't go out of her way to say anything, expecting me to take a hint after 3 months of seeing/talking every day and changing nothing. This was after months of everything going great and even knowing how I felt, and it wasn't until I asked her that she cared to say anything. I confronted her on this, saying its a total lead on and she just snapped, denied anything, crushed me for taking it seriously, made me feel awful for saying the words "lead on," changed the view of the past, and made it all my problem. She didn't bother to even acknowledge my side when I opened up to her, and pulled some "women don't owe guys anything" and a "girl can quit whenever she wants." She pretty much insulted me and everything I did for her, and didn't even care to tell me anything.

The worst part is I really fell for her, and this didn't make any sense at all. And now, its all my fault and she doesn't care at all, and I can't let her go. What did I do wrong?
Why do girls lead good guys on?
1
4