Why is it so hard for people to be straightforward and even blunt?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't know, I have always been straight forward and blunt, but maybe they are not because they are afraid of how people may react. I know that some issues I run into is that people tend to over think what I say because they assume that I am not just stating my opinion or idea but that I am holding back rather then being blunt and to the point.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• - They don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings
    - They think too much about what other people think of them (want a good rep)
    - They’re sensitive
    - They think that playing social games is an effective way to get to know someone and see their intentions (when I would say the opposite is true)
    - They don’t know how to express whatever it is that they’re thinking or feeling
    - They’re shy or insecure
    - They’re afraid of conflict and/or drama

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• Exact opposite for me. I'm almost always blunt to the point of coming across rude, especially with friends and people who cannot affect my life negatively. However in obvious circumstances, I don't say certain things. You have to be politically correct to an extent and depending on who you're talking with.

0|0
    0|0
  • i know what you mean... i always say it as it is but people get offended because they seem to prefer hollow platitudes or false compliments. its crazy though. it just results in 'how do i look' askers thinking they are all a nine and questions on emotional problems being answered with lies. people just love ignorance and i get called out because i say what i see

0|0
    0|0
  • Empathy, respect, tact, sympathy, fear, lack of energy, aversion to drama, possible impacts on current dynamics, conditioning, etc.
    We are expected to be civil and social. Honest and blunt would lead to order and truth. We may feel that going along to get along keeps the peace, but I think we're just part of the universe that always has and will tend toward chaos.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lots of reasons! Mainly fear though. Fear of offending some one, fear of being judged by thier opinion, fear of doing anything out of thier safe zone. Also, self doubt and insecurites about who they are and what others will think

0|1
    0|0
  • Because this society will be quick to call you an asshole if you ever try that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because most people are concerned about people liking them and being blunt with people tends to upset them in the moment

0|0
    0|0
  • It was not a problem when I was 20 years old. People said what they felt whenever they wanted to. There was no PC, oh my I may hurt someone's feelings. BS.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of society.
    I am that way and people don't like that. Silly thing is, that they think I care. :-D I couldn't care less. :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Because so many of us get smacked down for doing so. Most people want affirmation, not truth.

0|1
    0|0
  • Most people are worried about being politically correct or their appearance. I say what I want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because then you will be called an asshole as people don't really want to hear the truth, they just want to be lied to to make themselves feel better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of fears of being too forward or hurting peoples feelings

0|1
    0|0
  • They don't want to hurt their near ones and don't want them to be far away from them.

0|0
    0|0
  • take it from someone that is this way... people don't like people that are like that. mostly anwyay

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh my problem is I am too much of that. Gets me in trouble.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never found it "hart".

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, that's not a problem for me

0|0
    0|0
  • ... you just haven't find one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because most people hate the truth

0|0
    0|0
  • No one like blunt

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• For me it's hard not to, it's in my culture.
    We grow up being blunt and straight forward, they say people get offended by *us a lot.

But we would rather tell you that you have your teeth full of lipstick than to let you find out after walking around like that all day. (Just a small example)

*I'm dutch.

0|0
    0|0
  • We don't want to come off as insensitive [sometimes too much forwarders comes off like that] nor do we want to be vulnerable if we fear it may not be a shared opinion

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly it's really hard for me to not be straightforward with most people. I just... slip everything😂 too honest

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they do no want to hurt the people closest with them. Sometimes its trust issues.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes