Is the silent treatment effective or childish?

Does ignoring your significant other when upset work? What if they are super stubborn and persistent and talking to them just adds to the fire.
  • Childish ( keep it in high school)
    Vote A
  • Effective ( I do it all the time)
    Vote B
  • Situational ( Sometimes ehh)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes the silent treatment is childish, but surprise surprise, it still works. This is one of the rarer cases when saying nothing is better than saying something as that something might hurt your s/o, and even though you might be upset with him/her, deep down you know you don't want to hurt them.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on your goal. Is it effective in further upsetting your SO and potentially creating more problems than you began with? Yes.
    One of the hallmarks of adulthood is being able to communicate openly and maturely. Everyone can go pout off and brood over their problems. If you want to resolve them like an adult, confront them like an adult.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• The so-called silent treatment is actually a way of communicating, when you do not talk you are actually communicating a message, I know it sounds strange but it is definitely the type of body language

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes ignoring the other person is appropriate, depending on what they have done. In general, it's childish, and passive aggressive, and usually not effective.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends, what kind of man is on the other hand of the problem, is he one with a strong character who takes no bs? in that case its useless and will get you thrown out of the relationship faster than you can realize it.

is he childish? a dude without much smarts or experience? yeah it will work, he won't know whats wrong but he will try to figure it out.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I say "I'm out!" that's a sign that my temper is fraying, and I need to cool off. Do NOT impede my exit. i extend the same courtesy to my partner. but I take silence as an end, too. If you don't bring it up again, it's a non-issue.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure if its affective or not but if someone is annoying me or ignores me and i deem them worthy of my time ill do this once or twice before i finally block or delete them from my cell and or social media

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a coworker giving the silent treatment over a text I sent her over month ago about leaving the fuel center trashed and not picking up after her self. and she hasn't spoken to me since she acting like kid and needs to grow up.

0|0
    0|0
  • it works, if you are trying to make him happy... most of the time women dont understand that men need some quiet... you know, watch the game, and relax... worst thing is to get a barrage of chatter right when you poke your head in the door...

0|0
    0|0
  • Never give anyone the silent treatment unless you are done with them for good. The silent treatment is actually a common form of psychological abuse.

1|0
    0|0
    • Sorry but that is a ridiculous statement has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with communication.

• I believe the silent treatment is childish. I remember this girl use to
    do things to upset me and i would give her the silent treatment.

0|0
    0|0
  • A problem only fixes itself by confronting it, not by ignoring it. It's childish, immature.

1|1
    0|0
  • I broke up with my ex because she used to do this, it's really childish and annoying, only makes problems worse

0|0
    0|0
    • All of you people who claim the silent treatment is childish maybe partly right but it really isn’t childish it’s actually an effective way of communicating think about it?

• Effective. Don't reward bad attention seeking behaviour with attention. Simple.

0|0
    0|0
  • childish- relationships that are successful have no place for games

0|0
    0|0
  • Silent treatment is really childish. A relationship is built on communication

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends I know with me I'll walk out If my girlfriend started ignoring me

0|0
    0|0
  • Childish

1|0
    0|0
    • Its childish, can cause more problems and can eventually result in a breakup when the person get fed up with it. Communication is key in a relationship, so use it

• Childish ( keep it in high school)

0|0
    0|0
  • Very effective in deed

0|0
    0|0
  • I do it sometimes but it's defo childish haha

0|0
    0|0
  • Just talk it out if you have a problem

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• The silent treatment doesn't solve anything. You're just punishing them without communicating what yhe problem actually is and how to solve it. And either way, you shouldn't be punishing your partner. Its not how a relationship should work.

1|0
    0|0
    • It’s interesting that you see it as punishment, because that is a very narrow way of perceiving what is actually happening. The silent treatment is not necessarily ignoring someone you are sending a message by not speaking that message could be any number of things but it is not child is in my opinion is actually very mature in many ways, because it can indicate that you have thought about not speaking and that can be a good thing most of the time, which is a very mature way of handling an issue

• Saying that you don't want to talk to them at the moment because of an issue is very different then just shutting up. In my experience, all it does is drive people away and cement the issues into place. Communicating your needs or how you've been hurt to your partner is treating the both of you with respect. If other people find it effective, then far be it from me to tell you to do it differently. In my experience however, the silent treatment or the cold shoulder never solves anything.

• Think of all the non-verbal communication that we engage in all of the time. Facial expression’s hand gestures tone of voice body language all of these things are ways of communicating without speaking. So of course not speaking when someone expects you to speak is a non-verbal way of communicating and in my experience non-verbal communication is always make at least as much effectiveness as any words could convey. That’s all I’m trying to say it is not childish by not speaking intentionally.

• If I'm really pissed I'd ignore him for 2 hours because I don't want to say anything I can't take back, but it makes the other person feel unwanted when you ignore them and the situation needs to be resolved.

0|0
    0|0
    • It’s not actually ignoring the person it may be intentionally sending a message it could be all kinds of messages it is an effective way of communicating by not speaking you are saying a whole lot.

• Show All
    • It may be easy for you to talk about it but there are some situations where as I said not speaking is actually communicating if you would take a minute and think about that you might understand.

• Yes but you can avoid the topic but not avoid when the other person isn't speaking about the topic.

• childish. doesn't work well, it'll result in the other person feeling ignored and they'll end up upset too

0|0
    0|0
    • If it’s not childish actually. People of all ages do it because it is an effective way of communicating.

• It’s one thing to take a few minutes to compose yourself or gather your thoughts, and then respond. It’s another thing to intentionally ignore your partner as a way to punish them or get what you want. The silent treatment is manipulative, cruel, and counterproductive, and is ultimately a power play. You are gaining control of the situation by putting your partner in a position where there’s nothing they can do but wait. My ex used to turn his phone off in the middle of arguments, and we were long distance so the phone was our only way to communicate. It made me feel abandoned and helpless and ultimately really traumatized me. Now I don’t stand for that, ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • sometimes both of you need to take a time out. But not ignoring for a long period of time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep that in middle school. But tbh I do it and it works

0|1
    0|0
  • I hate it when people see it as a punishment because not everyone is always in the mood to talk.

1|0
    0|0
  • Childish but I still do it when I'm pissed and know I'd say something I'd regret lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I think a guy would love that I think if never stop talking be effective.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's both.

0|0
    0|0
  • very childish

0|0
    0|0
    • Child like maybe, sometimes children do it a lot but people of all ages do it intentionally because you are sending a message and it is an effective way of communicating.

• Childish

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes