How much does physical appearance matter vs. Personality like sense of humor?

I am a little over weight and it can hurt my confidence sometimes. However, if I can just get a girl to give me a chance I can usually be funny and charming enough to get the number and or a date. How much should I let my weight hold me back from making an initial approach on attractive women? I am working on my weight but surely not everyone sees this as the sole defining characteristic in life... I am only 24 so it's not like I'm gonna die alone tomorrow but where are the non shallow young WOMEN at?

2