How would you feel about receiving this rejection from someone you met online but haven't seen in person?

"I really enjoyed talking and texting with you. You're a very outgoing, intelligent, fun guy/girl. However, I had a date with someone I really connect with and I'd like to focus on getting to know him/her better. I wish you only the best!"
Updates:
Asking for a date instead of just texting shows real interest. You gotta take the plunge.
The guy who "won" was also more personal in his approach. We talked about things that matter, not just small talk. I met 4 guys online in 24 hours and was texting with all and had spoken to 3 on the phone. This has never happened to me before and so I really had to think about how I was going to handle it and sift through the possibilities. I also wanted to be fair to everyone and decide as quickly as possible. It was one week.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I would be quite pleased. Very few people have given any indication of their feelings about me. After almost one year, only two people have given me an honest and unsolicited comment about the way they felt or what they are thinking. They have at least given me something. Everyone else has feigned interest at best and simply disappeared.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• I would think

1. I don;t know whether this is the truth or just an excuse to let me down easy.

2. At least this person cares about how I react.

3, Whatever the reason is for why she does not want to meet me, I don;t want to force myself on someone who does not want to be with me, so it is best that I learned this as soon as possible.

2|0
    0|0
    • I would also think, "Darn, I should have taken the plunge and asked for a date instead of fooling around just texting. "

• I spend very little time messaging and texting. I try to get to a phone call immediately. Then I try to get a date as soon as possible. You've gotta take a chance if you wanna find romance!

• Fair enough. You're being honest and direct. Well said. And I'd appreciate you letting me know as well, rather than just stop talking to me with no explanation (which happens a lot). Some guys may not appreciate it, but I would if it were me.

2|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I was on the opposite end of the situation a month ago, and couldn't understand why someone I thought was interested in me and had a great date with was being uncommunicative. Later he let me know that he had decided on somebody else. I just wish he would have let me know sooner.

• I would feel "Oh, that's too bad, but that's dating." When I was dating online I quickly learned not to waste time talking and texting before meeting. You can have great online conversations but then meet and find there is no attraction.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've had this happen. Talk for many months and it goes well. Then when it's naturally time to request to see a photo or you show them one there is radio silence.. it's not right.

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree with you, that is like catfish. :(

• Show All
    • @SleeplessEleotriada I guess I've been online enough I can tell pretty quickly if I want to meet thethem, plus I know you can hit it off really well online or on the phone but not be attracted in person, so I try to move pretty quickly to avoid wasting their time and mine. But I also don't give them my last name or address, meet them in a public space, let a girlfriend know where I'm going and when and ask her to text to see if I'm okay, etc.

• @punkinpie I see your points. Thanks for the online dating tips.

• This has happened to me... lol. Right now as a matter of fact. Their both trolls. he's 10 - 15 years younger than both of us... she's minus 4 months from me. He buttered her up , everything was you're so beautiful, blah, blah, etc. Her and I had conversation that mattered. here's the kicker... he's 3000 miles away, I'm 35, lmao! Tonight I find his friend request on my messenger page, lol. Trolls get theirs from Karma! Forget it and go forward.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would appreciate it for its openness and honesty. Of course rejection always hurts, But when it's done honorably and for the right reasons, You can't hate on them.

1|1
    0|0
  • They were there in person and you are not it sucks but you have to understand and expect it to happen. Should have went and visited them to see if it could have been you that connected but Life Goes On right.

1|0
    0|0
  • Im use to rejection so that wouldn't be a surprise to me

1|0
    0|1
  • Wouldn't feel much
    Cause nothing has developed

Now if you are too hung up on his looks then ya it will burn a little lol

1|0
    0|0
  • At least they gave the courtesy to tell you, so they respected you enough for that. Better than being ghosted!

1|0
    0|0
  • Just move on. Rejection is part of dating. Get over it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I'd rather not know that they had a date lined up with someone better.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well, they didn't know if you were better because you didn't ask them out. You just fooled around texting.

• That's fucked up! I hope they have a bad day. How can they use someone like that.

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Ok whatever. It was still messed up. Why are we even discussing this anymore. We both agree to disagree. I think we should leave it at that.

• Okay. I was just curious because it seemed odd.

• Silently

1|0
    0|0
  • Okay. Probably best rejection ever.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would move on and hope the best for them

1|0
    0|0
  • it is what it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • Wow... Amaybe... U Just ask

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I think that's a kind way to reject. They've been honest and didn't want you to feel they were leading you on further and giving false hope.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, emphasize the positive and don't make it about them

• Yes I'd rather that than be ghosted that can be hurtful especially as I'm grown up enough to hear "you know what this can't continue"

• it's sucks, but they did the right thing in letting you know what was going on and I think they did really just want to do what was best for everyone in the situation rather than leading you on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would appreciate their honesty and integrity.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is a nice rejection. I would move on.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes