Would smoking cigarettes be a no go for you when it comes to a relationship?

Why or why not? Would smoking cigarettes be a no go for you when it comes to a relationship?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • It depends
    Vote B
  • No
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm cool with the chick who likes to smoke weed on occasion but I don't need someone wasting hundreds of dollars a year on little cancer sticks

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I would usually say yes cause the smell overwhelms me, but I'm so attracted to my bfs pheromones that even his cigarettes smell good.

0|1
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 143

• I have a strong preference for a very intelligent partner. I cannot reconcile smoking and intelligence; I think the two are mutually exclusive.

9|14
    3|7
    • Well, intelligent people actually seek novel experiences, like those offered by drugs. The average heroin addict has a higher IQ than the average person. Smoking is similar. So you might want to rethink that belief.

• Show All
    • @WhistleForTheChoir There is nothing abstract about my response to your argumentative nonsense.

• @WhistleForTheChoir umm, mental illness actually DOES affect cognitive abilities. Also, an ad hominem attack would be a personal attack irrelevant to the argument. I simply state that your mental illness may be affecting your cognitive abilities in this argument. Which would be quite relevant. Furthermore, my “I’m sorry...” was genuine. I’m also sorry you were raised without a mother and have a strained relationship with your father. I wish you nothing but happiness these holidays and beyond. ☮️💟

• I could not date a smoker- I'm allergic to it. I'd have to tell her that she would have to give up smoking or I can't go out with her.

0|0
    0|0
  • no i definitely wouldn't date a smoker. that is addictive stuff and probably deadly at some point. I used to work at a music store (shitty music store) where many people smoked, the custodian knew a guy who smoked and had to go for heart surgery because smoking caused a hole in his hear t or something like that. don't want that.

also, nobody wants to kiss someone who smokes, even occasionally, you reek of the stuff, I've almost had my appetite ruined while eating at a bar alone and these smokers came back inside. smokers have the worst coughs I've ever heard. the custodian i spoke of before had the worst breathing i could imagine, the only way i could tell that he wasn't Darth Vader was that his breathing didn't sound computerized or robotic.

besides all that, smoking doesn't just ruin your mouth, make you smell, and give you lung cancer (possibly, likely), you can ruin your stomach, make your fingers yellow/brown... at the music store i worked at one of the old guys smoked, he had a beard or mustache that was white, but really smoke yellow/brown it was disgusting.

I hate smoking i can smell it from many metres away, being outside doesn't help, I say tat you guys all go on top of a building and out of the way and out of my sight.

0|0
    0|0
  • it would be a check in the negative column but not necessarily a deal breaker. but it would also greatly depend on the amount of smoking. i couldn't date a chain smoker or someone close to it. but someone who smokes say 3 or 4 a day i guess i could deal with

0|0
    0|0
  • I would lie if I would say, I don't care. I smoked for about 15 years before I quit and now even I can't stand woman who do smoke. When I kiss her I don't want to kiss an "ashtray" (I learned this from one of my girlfriends who didn't smoke when I did. :) Now, I must say, she was right.).

1|0
    0|0
  • As I do not like females smelling of cigarette smoke, do not like tasting cigarette when I kiss a female and cigarette smoke is a trigger for my asthma. It also just turns me off, to see a female smoking.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I have asthma, so it wouldn't fly. Plus the smell permeates everything (even neglecting the addiction and other health issues for her).

1|1
    0|0
  • A long time ago I had a couple of dates with a smoker.
    So, she smoked in my car - i was too young to say no to it. And she smelled like a cigarette, and when I gave her a kiss goodnight it was like licking an ashtray.
    So sorry, points off for smoking!

0|0
    0|0
  • Smokers make me vomit! I couldn't care less even if you were a 10.
    Your beauty will fade fast and you will be a hag.

2|0
    0|0
  • Except if the girl is extraordinary good, and she only smokes from time to time, it's a no go for me.

i.pinimg.com/.../...hygienist-dental-assistant.jpg

0|0
    0|0
  • I smoke a little, one or two cigs a day , to much stress (no excuse). I say yes still. Her mouth taste much better without the smell. More kisses , longer kisses, no pauses in between sex, take that two minute breather without a cig , and get right back at it 😁 ... etc... 😙

0|0
    0|0
  • I won't say I would never date a girl that smokes, but it's extremely unlikely (unless she has an actual plan to stop doing it): people that smoke smell like cigarettes all the time and that makes me lightheaded and uncomfortable

0|0
    0|0
  • My answer to this particular question has changed over the years. I used to be a smoker and it didn't bother me a bit back then. It was a little bit better because she wouldn't bitch about me smoking. Then, since I have quit, I don't really like it. I voted on "it depends" because if she only smokes when she drinks or every once in a while, then it wouldn't be a deal breaker. If she smoked like a freight train, though, that would be a no-go for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Smoke stinks way too much. I used to smoke a pack a day and after quitting any time I smell it I just think "wow, I used to smell that bad."

You can't smell it on yourself, but holy shit smoking makes you smell terrible

1|0
    0|0
  • I am a non-smoker. If my romantic partner needs to turn to addictive narcotics, then it means they don't have enough confidence and self-control. It shows to me that they don't have the guts to say "no".

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t think I can date a girl who smokes cigarettes often or occasionally because I gotta kiss her and her breath might smell like burned asshole hair so no thanks.

0|1
    0|1
  • A future mom should not smoke , you should not be competing with carcinogenic substances on how fast you can die, at first in a relationship between you and yourself, you must be alive and well to be in a relationship with another person , its hard to give up and addiction you just have to try.

0|0
    0|0
  • The first time I ever had an asthma attack was when I was 13, and it was triggered by second-hand cigarette smoke. So, unless she's willing to quit, it would be a definite no-go.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but it depends on if she does it inside or in the car or not. I've basically quit smoking and don't want it to be a part of my life in the routine sense. I don't care if a girl smokes as long as it doesn't affect my health.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely a deal-breaker, I wouldn't want a relationship with a smoker

2|1
    0|0
  • Depends. A non smoker myself it would be hard to accept though and sometimes there's nothing worst than kissing a smoker right after they've had a smoke.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it would.

Because it's unhealthy, often associated with mental health issues these days, and is expensive to boot.

It's a good way of telling an idiot at a glance.

0|0
    0|1
  • Depends. So long as she doesn't reak of smoke and can mask it, then I've got no issue. I've dated a couple of smokers. Mostly because they were smoking hot and being a smoker didn't seem to bother me at the age of 18 due to my priorities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, it's your life. Do whatever you want, smoke a joint or smoke a cigarette. If am in a relationship am not there to change who she is, but to accept her the way she is.

1|0
    0|0
  • My wife/girlfriend at the time gave up smoking for me because it's gross. Suffice to say, I am not a fan.

0|1
    0|0
  • If they smoked unapologetically? Yes. But if I was aware that they were on a clear route to quitting I wouldn't give up on them

1|0
    0|0
  • I am a social smoker, I don't find it good to have a relationship with a heavy smoking woman, if she was like me it is better , or non smoker is much better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Smoking is absolutely no. I will never date another smoker.

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't bother me. I would rather she not, but if I really like someone and feel we are compatible, I wouldn't let it stop me from dating her.

0|0
    0|0
  • if someone is a non smoker I can't image how they would be ok with their mate smoking away lol...
    however if you fell in love then they started.. ya that's fine

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 61

• It's not a total deal breaker if he is going to give up, but it would put me off for sure.

4|5
    0|0
    • always assume he's gonna give up if h want im to. i defo would

• I usually prefer being around people who have "Healthy Habits". It keeps me healthy too. As regards smoking Cigarettes, I avoid being around when people smoke for this reason & also because I can't stand it's smell. Given this, I don't think I would choose get into relationship with anyone who smokes. I kinda also feel that smokers are on self destructive mode, which I would hate if I'm in a relationship. Cheers. 😇 💕

0|1
    0|0
  • It used to be the biggest deal breaker for me when I saw a guy smoke I would not be interested one bit. My current boyfriend is a smoker so I guess I’m so in love that it doesn’t bother me to that extent. Don’t get me wrong, I hate it, but it’s not a deal breaker.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because to me smoking cigarettes is one of the biggest dangers and killers to ourselves and to our world. It’s unhealthy and a bad habit and not to mention I can barely breathe just by the smell of smoke stained clothes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. My health matters to me. I have a hard enough time being around friends after they come inside post cigarette. It makes my nose burn and irritates my lungs (I have a history of asthma). I'm not kissing anybody who smokes and that's a problem if said person were my boyfriend.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I actually find it kind of sexy when guys do it :/
    I actually smoked myself, but I'm not currently as I don't want it to be an issue in my relationship~ I love him too much to lose him.

0|2
    0|0
  • A no go. There is always the possibility for all those things going wrong like lung diseases or cancers and I did not go spend 10+ years in school to pay for someone's hospital bill. And also what if you end up loving this person and they end up being very sick or dead. Or you could be dragged in the smoking.

So definite deal breaker

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes smoking is disgusting. You are literally fucking your body up little by little. Why would I want to be with someone who is OK with this. And smoking stinks.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't want to go out with somebody who is slowly killing themself. I want someone who will be healthy and hopefully live to be old with me. Plus, my religion does not support smoking, and I want to marry someone of the same religion as me so we can get married in the temple.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on how heavy of a smoker they are. If they have a cigarette or two while out drinking with friends, it's no biggie. However, if I can constantly smell it on them, then yeah I wouldn't be able to date them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ughhhhhhhh that’s a major turn off to the core!!! It’s hard enough for me to try and get use to the fact that my boyfriend smokes weed. But cigarettes evenworse. I don’t think I could.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can't handle the smell so I don't even think I'll be able to meet them before i run away to breath
    Beyond that if i am going to be with someone I'll want them to live as long as possible

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont mind the smell or tase of cigarettes not a guy.. It doesn't bother me much so it would be a problem as long as it not a 24/7 thing and its on occasion

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely, can't have my partner getting cancer. I'd think he was selfish I'd get so emotional. "So you're just going to throw your money and life away for a company that don't even care about you"

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much yeah the smell gives me a headache... and my father's been smoking for over 30 years and his health is pretty bad. Can't handle such thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I can’t breathe around cigarette smoke, so I would prefer my partner not smoke at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes total No Go. I can't stand smoke. My lungs are weakend because of my Asthma. So if anyone smoke near me I will cough. Also I hate the smell of cigarettes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Smoking is gross. The smell makes me gag, I wouldn't want to kiss someone who has smoker breath

0|0
    0|0
  • It would definitely be a turn off for me. I have no interest in dating a smoker.

0|0
    0|0
  • For all the health components that are damaged by smoking and second-hand smoker, id rather keep my lungs and my potential children's bodies healthy

0|0
    0|0
  • I really hate cigarettes. The smell & it gives me a massive headache. I can't be around people when they smoke.

0|1
    0|0
  • If he only smokes once in a while it's okay, but he should brush his teeth and wash his face and hands to get rid of the stench.
    If he smokes ALL the time, it's a huge turn off for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on if it's a stress reliever then I could handle it but I have friends who smoke so I would prefer they dont

0|0
    0|0
  • I find smoking to be disgusting.

Kissing a guy who smokes is like licking an ashtray !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • AH I MEANT TO PUT YES! Oops!

Anyway, I'd much rather not date someone who smokes cancer in a stick. Gross.

0|0
    0|0
  • Disgusting habit. Can’t abide it. Terribly allergic to smoke.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends, because I understand.
    I used to smoke socially, then not so socially and moved to have ciggy breaks.
    I dated smokers, so, it was easy, but always were super aware of the smell, so I brushed my hair and never had one in the car with the windows closed (bye, bye winter ones), then kissing, for every cig, chewing gum, mints and the like.
    People who didn't smoke could not believe that I did. My house and my clothes were super clean and so did my hands.
    Then I stopped cold turkey. And became very conscious about the smell, and the taste on my mouth.
    These days I would not date a smoker, because I would be a horrible person, and I know how delicious is having a smoke, so, I would be asking him to stop doing something he really finds pleasure.
    ... And moved to Shishas and eCigs with 0 nicotine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it would. I can't stand smokers, and they usually smell bad, have bad breath and bad teeth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most disgusting habit there is. Also shows a serious lack of intelligence. Another huge turn off.

0|0
    0|1
  • Used to be a yes, until someone smoked some special cigarettes in front of me that smelled of apples and oranges. Those I wouldn't mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes