Is a relationship between an 18-year-old and a 27-year-old weird?

I am an 18 year old girl currently dating my 27-year old coworker. It was a slow process of denying attraction on both sides and then finally caving to go on a date and eventually entering a relationship. He has two kids ages 7 and 4, whom he had custody of two days a week. I am frequently mistaken for being older and am financially independent and stable, living on my own since graduating high school. Most people that meet me say I’m oddly mature for my age. I hesitate taking my boyfriend to meet my parents, seeing how he’s 8 1/2 years older than myself, and both his and my friends think it’s kind of weird. Occasionally I find myself slightly weirded out when I think that it’s only been 6 months since I graduated high school and nearly 10 years for him. Is it weird or am I starting to unnecessarily let other people’s opinions get to my head? I really love this man and he is very good to me.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If y'all love each other and he really does treat you right, and that's not just your heart talking but your brain thinking, I say fuck it. That age difference seems major these days but it wasn't a big deal a generation ago. My mom is about 7 years younger than my dad so I don't find it weird.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't pay attention to other's opinion, they know nothing about you. You must train yourself not to pay attention to others. If you love him and he loves you, there is no problem at all. This age difference doesn't matter if you two get on well with each other. Not the age should match but the inner spirit.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• I don't see your age difference as a problem, even before taking into account your high level of maturity. People's maturity levels and biological ages count more than their chronological ages, but some people don't get that.
    He treats you well and you love each other. That's far more important than anything else.

0|0
    0|0
  • Age is just a number some say but your ONLY 18 you have a lot of living to do. Don't get into anything serious for the sake of both parties involved. Party, have lots of protected sex, experiment, stay away from frequent hard drug use, and have fun. There is plenty of time after all that to settle down. If you don't you will either regret it later or ruin a good relationship experiencing that aspect of life.

1|0
    0|0
  • There was a time when such things were normal. Do to different levels of maturity. You've probably noticed that boys your age definitely need to grow up. It also had to do with men establishing themselves financially. How secure is the fry cook at McD's? Don't worry about what others say. It's not their concern. As for your parents? Good luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • Weird? Ehh... kinda gray. But it definitely isn't the norm and rarely does it last. Also rarely do both sides have pure intentions.

I do believe that you can be really mature for your age. I mean, these situations do happen successfully and last. It's just not very common, and for a reason (girl is too immature, someone loses attraction, guy is in it just for sex, etc).

0|0
    0|0
    • A quick edit is I’ve had sex with this man once since we’ve been dating 4 months and he doesn’t pressure me for more

• ok... so maybe he's interested in more than sex, maybe he really likes you, etc. Still, doesn't change the fact any variety of things can change in the future when there's that much of an age discrepancy. Lifestyles, careers, goals, living situations, etc, can all change and cause a relationship to change as well.

• If you want the generally accepted opinion of the a academic world there is a formula. Take the older person. Divide thier age by 2, and add 7 years. That is the youngest accepted age a person should date. So in his situation (27/2)+7=20.5 ;( modern society has psychologically and morally agrees you are too young for him... LOL, sorry.. it won't last anyway so just make the best of it

0|0
    0|0
    • Out of curiosity, did you hear that from parks and recreation?

• No, did they bring it up? I actually ran into the study trying to look up information on carbon dating and how they decide something is 250k years old... i guess if you put Age and Dating in google at the same time it gets confused :)

• Eh, at least it's legal. I think it's weird but I mean if I met an 18 year old and we got along I would probably not think it's that weird. My default is no less than 23 but I've made exceptions down to 21 so far.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not 'weird', but statistically it's not gonna last long.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's an unusual relationship for sure, but doesn't mean that it cannot work. He does come with a lot of baggage and sounds like he is gunning for a long term relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah that's a little alarming. Men that age dating women your age could be a pretty big red flag in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Well then I wish you the best of luck 🙂

• Thank you :)

• It's all up to you, you decide it. Everyone is right at their point of view. Your life your decision.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hope my situation goes as well as yours. But i dont find it weird at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you really like each other so there is no problem.
    If the man is not using you for sex

0|0
    0|0
    • I forgot to put this in my post but we’ve been together for four months or so and have had sex once and he doesn’t pressure me

• It's a good sign if he is not pressurise to you for sex.
      So i think you can go ahead with him

• Just do a self check and see if you are mature enough for him.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, no problem with that.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a bit odd

0|0
    0|0
  • Erm.

0|0
    0|0
  • ''Occasionally I find myself slightly weirded out''

Most girls your age can barely string an interesting sentence together. What exactly do you have to offer this guy?

0|0
    0|0
    • To be fair, I prefer to date older because while most girls my age are airheads, the guys my age are even worse.

• True... but you are getting weirded out. I'd say it's mostly due to society and what other people will think, or judge though.

• You’re old enough and apparently mature so it’s not that strange but you’re letting other people’s opinion matter when it’s what ever makes you happy that counts

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I'm looking to be in the same boat so I'm biased, but I think it's fine. It's about compatability and responsibility in any relationship regardless of age; it's just a number. If it works it works. Sure, it would be *socially conveinient for you to be of closer age, but at least in my situation I just think we had to be the ages we are and make all the choices we did in our lives to arrive at the same place and time together and be interested in each other. Maybe if I were younger then she wouldn't like that version of me and maybe if she was older with a few more years of experience apart from me then it would have made her a different person, one which I didn't like. So basically, I don't fight it. We seem to be compatible here and now and I do my best to be responsible, I don't see what more there is to ask of someone.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

Recommended myTakes