What is the real meaning of the word "date" and the meaning of the word "hang out"?

If you date a guy is it the same as hanging out with him? If you go out with a guy for the first time is it a date or just hang out? And if there is a 2nd or 3rd meeting, are they still dates or still hang out? And at the end of both dates you both make out.

Do "dates" always refer to something serious between the man and the woman or not necessarily?
Updates:
So if a man and a woman had gone out together just 2 times and they had made out at the end at both hang outs, then also the guy had tell her compliments, or the guy had rubbed the lady´s leg over her clothes and the guy had told her he had been attracted to her since he met her 2 years back. Is this a hang out or what it is?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Hanging out: means the purpose of being together is just that, to hang out with each other.
    Dating: means the purpose for being together is to, at a minimum, figure out of their is chemistry to be more than friends (romantic).

0|0
    0|0
    • If you are trying to analyze and decipher what a guy’s intention is, because he says something like “let’s hang out next week” it doesn’t mean necessarily that he just wants to be friends. It just means it correlates to the plan of meeting, “let’s hang out at that pub” - it is a bit corny to use the word “date” or “dating” in many contexts, sometimes for no other reason, than to avoid additional questions from someone, I don’t think I ever told my parents I was dating anyone, for that same reason... didn’t want to be interrogated. Also, it’s used to make women feel comfortable, like “hey, don’t worry about me having expectations, I’m not a douchebag” so don’t over analyze it

Most Helpful Girl

• For me...
    Date - you're a potential girlfriend
    Hangout - you're a potential fuck buddy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• In my opinion, a date is where the both of you see more in it than "a friendly stroll on the beach (as an example). Hanging out is more that 1 or none of you think about it as something special (in the "love relationship" way

0|0
    0|0
    • People have different ways of doing things, so in the end, it is up to you

• Dates are the process to building a romantic relationship, whereas "hanging out" is strictly platonic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hang out - casual
    Date - serious

0|0
    0|0
  • Hangouts is an indirect way for asking on a date

0|0
    0|0
    • But people say hang out is just friendly or nothing serious and date is something completely differemnt more serious stuff in the future. Do u agree?

• Nope do not.. its an indirect way of asking for a date

• Date means there is a romantic interest.
    Hang out is friend stuff. Now because some people are to bitch to be up front about their interest say hang out.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Depends on the person

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes