Does what a girl wears make her a "target"? Should it matter?

My friend believes crop tops are immodest and what a girl wears could make her a target.

If we are not talking about career wise, just what someone wears out in public, should it matter? Does what a girl wearing attract an audience.

How can a girlfriend respond to a boyfriend saying this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It is a very slippery question as you can easily devolve into it being misunderstood.

What people wear should never attract harassment. But you do set yourself up for heightened attention in certain outfits. That isn't a bad thing per se, but people often forget the instinctual response to attraction.

I do not think crop tops are immoral, but if you aren't comfortable with people ( politely! ) looking at how you look from an attraction perspective, maybe you should adjust your styling a bit.

All that said:
    There is zero right for anyone to harass people because they dress a certain way.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't make her a target per say but just remember that if you are gonna dress skanky or with little clothing then you have to take the attention that comes with it. If men stare at you like a piece of meat then it is on you.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• No it doesn't make you a target thats a pathetic excuse, like the other opinions though it does attract a lot of attention and if that attention is unwanted then you should dress differently. Its like girls that go out in yoga pants and get offended because guys are staring at their asses if you dont want it looked at then dont show it off.

1|0
    0|0
  • It may attract an audience. Beautiful people draw attention, all around, especially when they aren't afraid to highlight that. But make her a target? To somebody who thinks that way, sexual assault is the fault of the person who is assaulted, so I'd really be leery of anyone who said that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tell him the truth: girls wear what they wear to show off to other girls and feel good about themselves, guys aren’t the primary reason

1|0
    0|0
  • Your clothes don't make you a target. What you wear isn't going to matter to a sick individual

2|0
    0|0
  • In all honesty yes what a girl wears can attract unwanted attention and make her a target or victim. This is not to say it is her fault if she is say abused or assaulted but there's a chance it could have been prevented had she dressed properly for wherever she was. For example. The beach. You can wear a bikini and all that. The gym. Wear some yoga pants whatever comfortable. A public setting you've never been to and know nothing about. Dress modestly because you don't know the crowd and who in that crowd might react. Not all victims of abuse are so because of how they were dressed but in some cases that abuse what attracted by what a girl was wearing

1|0
    0|0
  • If I dress as a cop I might be taken as a cop.. If I dress as a fireman I might be taken as one also.. If you dress as a whore you might be offended for being taken as one. Logic.

0|0
    0|0
    • So you think crop tops make u look like a whore?

• Showing off your belly button def makes you a whore, show them one hole, you've shown them all (this is sarcasm)

• Hahah, I often wear crop tops lol

• What do you mean by target?

0|0
    0|0
  • A target for what?

0|0
    0|0
  • It does attract an audience , and your boyfriend probably doesn't want other guys staring with their mouths watering , trying to imagine what you look like under it...

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes