Do you find it acceptable to ask personal questions on a first date?

I went out on a first date with a guy and he was already asking me questions about my family and what they did for a living. I felt it was way too soon to be asking such questions since he essentially put me on the spot given that my parents don't have very good jobs and one of them is disabled. This gave me the impression that he was trying to figure out if I'm wealthy or not.

How can I change the subject next time this happens or decline to answer such question without offending the other person?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I personally don't think it's good form to ask questions like that so soon. I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable about it. He's on a date with you, not your family.

0|0
    0|0
    • Would you agree that he was just trying to figure out if I was rich or not?

• It's possible, but of course I can't really say. But it shouldn't matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly he was probably just asking to make conversation seeing as that is what people do on the first date. When my boyfriend and I were on our first date he asked about my mother. The situation was personal but it was him asking, and not trying to be nosey. You don't always have to think the worst of others.

0|0
    0|0
    • Do you agree that he was just trying to figure out if I was wealthy or not?

• No I don't think he was trying to figure out that at all. If he was he probably would have paid attention to things like your clothes, shoes, purse, and things lile that. Asking what your parents do is a pretty traditional thing to ask.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• I'd say those kind of people, who are doing this are actually judging. Knowing about family is one aspect but making out an image is pure judgement.

0|0
    0|0
    • How do I know he's making out an image?

What Girls Said 2

• he was trying to figure out if you're wealthy or not. i would just make him look silly when he starts being intrusive, give him a look

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s what I wrote in my summary. It really pisses me off that I didn’t say anything about that right then and there.

• i mean if you dont wish to answer his question just say "i prefer not to say sorry" then he will back off :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes