How important to you are lots of shared interests in a relationship?

I've noticed some people tend to care more than others about having tons of common hobbies/interests with their partner. I personally don't need to have too much in common with guys I date - it's nice when we can teach each other things.
  • Very important
  • Not important at all
  • Indifferent/doesn't matter
    Vote C

1217

Most Helpful Guy

• It's important to me that we spend a lot of time together and since having shared interests makes that a lot easier, I voted for very important. But it's more about being able to do things together than caring if she likes what I like.

There's a quiz online at www.5lovelanguages.com that you can take to see what types of things make you feel loved in a relationship. I suspect that people with a high score on Quality Time are going to be much more likely to say common interests are important than those with a low score on that simply because of the desire for spending time together.

If you take the quiz, I'd be interested in your score for Quality Time. My guess is that it will be relatively low so you won't care much if he spends a Saturday fishing while you're doing pottery or something like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Although a relationship doesn't depend on similarities, its really great to bond over those similarities and can be a main factor which brings two people together, it initiates conversation, and also allows for two people to be able to enjoy the same things and ultimately not just spend more time together doing those things they both love, but enjoy that time. So its not the most important thing in a relationship, but I'd definitely say its up there. But if a guy were to be respectful, loyal, kindhearted and warm, funny, and charming, I think I could dismiss having totally different tastes and opinions.