How important to you are lots of shared interests in a relationship?

I've noticed some people tend to care more than others about having tons of common hobbies/interests with their partner. I personally don't need to have too much in common with guys I date - it's nice when we can teach each other things.
  • Very important
    Vote A
  • Not important at all
    Vote B
  • Indifferent/doesn't matter
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's important to me that we spend a lot of time together and since having shared interests makes that a lot easier, I voted for very important. But it's more about being able to do things together than caring if she likes what I like.

There's a quiz online at www.5lovelanguages.com that you can take to see what types of things make you feel loved in a relationship. I suspect that people with a high score on Quality Time are going to be much more likely to say common interests are important than those with a low score on that simply because of the desire for spending time together.

If you take the quiz, I'd be interested in your score for Quality Time. My guess is that it will be relatively low so you won't care much if he spends a Saturday fishing while you're doing pottery or something like that.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Although a relationship doesn't depend on similarities, its really great to bond over those similarities and can be a main factor which brings two people together, it initiates conversation, and also allows for two people to be able to enjoy the same things and ultimately not just spend more time together doing those things they both love, but enjoy that time. So its not the most important thing in a relationship, but I'd definitely say its up there. But if a guy were to be respectful, loyal, kindhearted and warm, funny, and charming, I think I could dismiss having totally different tastes and opinions.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• It's very important to have a few shared interests, but a lot aren't needed. You have to be able to do things together and feel like the other person enjoys it. But I want lots of time to do my own thing also. Finding the right balance between time together and time apart is one of the most important things in a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion on one side, it is really important to have something in common to have something to talk about and share some interests, do something together, etc, but on the other side, if you have nothing unique just for yourself you both will quickly get tired of each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally I like the idea of me and my future girlfriend having a lot in common. But I'd also settle for having some things in common, because I have a LOT of interests. Some of which are really geeky, like video games and anime and I don't know many girls who would openly admit to liking anime.

0|0
    0|0
  • I need a lot of shared interests because then you know you're passionate about the same things and know you'll both have fun doing and talking about them. They are a major factor that keeps a relationship's flame going.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm thinking about my relationship here... I think we share some things, but also have some differences. Like, we both like movies, we go to the cinema a lot, but at the beginning she had no clue about Marvel movies which I enjoy very much. Showed her some and now we both love them and looking forward to each of them. I'm still much more into those comic book characters, she just goes with me to the movies, but she's having a good time on every one of them. We both love music, but she's a radio type, she fall in love with a new song every week and likes some typical girls stuff like Ed Sheeran, and me, I grew up with a line "Every song they play on the radio is bullshit" in mind and I still think that, I almost exclusively listen to rap from Houston 😂 So we kinda like the same things, but not in details 😂

It doesn't really matter though, it at least makes opportunities to spend time with different people, not going everywhere together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am a typical guy, I like cars, guns, and sports.
    So most girls i date, dont like these things, and thats fine. It keeps things interesting

0|0
    0|0
  • Shared interests are important but you both need to have time with and away from your partner so it is good to have some but not a whole bunch

0|0
    0|0
  • Jak mamy ze sobą spędzać czas to lepiej kiedy mamy wspólne zainteresowania, inaczej będą sprzeczki. Ja chcę wiadomości a Ty serial.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not too important, but somewhat important, since we must have SOMETHING in mutual to like about each other...

0|0
    0|0
  • I want to have some common ground but a variety is good too. So in between

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• At least some hobbies/ personality traits that are shared, though I don't want to be too similar because its boring to know that your partner is thinking the same thing as you. I also don't want to be too different because that's how a lot of arguments start.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me not important at all. Most of my time is spent working/studying. The rest of it, I like to read books and travel. Honestly, I need more hobbies. If my future boyfriend likes different things, and is willing to teach them to me, I think that would be very fun. Alternatively, even if I dont like all of them, that is ok. I like doing somethings alone, to relax, and have "me time". So I don't think we have to like the same things at all. We can still talk and spend time together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's important. Mainly coz my boyfriend and I have like zero common interests. But I mean this way you can find things you like together :)

And if you love someone, you love them and whether or not you have similarities shouldn't really impact that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you should have differences but you need to enjoy things together! My parents have no hobbies in common but they both love to travel so that's something that has really kept their marriage strong.

0|0
    0|0
  • I quite like a mixture of both, it's nice to be able to bond over the same things, but it's also nice to be introduced to your partner's other interests :)

0|0
    0|0
  • The most important thing to me in a relationship. I want to be able to do fun things with them that we both enjoy and not have either of us being bored.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it matters, I think as long as you have the same humour nothing else really matters

0|0
    0|0
  • yes cause too much differences can cause a lot of arguments

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree with you

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m would prefer we have a few common interests

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls