What are the top 5 things that you need in a dating relationship?

Other than looks, what means the most to you, in order to have a great relationship?

1119

Most Helpful Guy

• 1) We have to each keep trying to make the other happy, every day in small ways, once in a while with big gestures, and frequently with adventures both small and large.

2) We have to share interests and actively pursue them together. For me, that means hiking, biking, gaming (board, tabletop, and video), reading, binge-watching netflix shows, and having sex, among many others. It's also really satisfying to discover an interest and develop it together. For example, me and my girlfriend both got into backpacking together, and now we've been out 4 times and are always looking for new gear and planning new trips to take someday.

3) She needs to receive big romantic gestures well. I'm a big fan of putting on big romantic gestures, and sometimes I like receiving them too, but if she wasn't appreciative or didn't really care about them, I'd feel deeply dissatisfied. I spend a lot of my time quietly plotting any number of big-things-to-do-someday.

4) Similar life-goals. If she doesn't want to eventually have a family, then our relationship isn't going anywhere. If she doesn't want to build up a retirement account, make a difference in the world, provide financial stability for our children, own a lot of pets, and build a house with a big yard, I'm not sure I could ever reconcile those differences.

5) Sexual compatibility. This doesn't just mean a similar level of sex-drive (though that would help). It means a whole mix of important things like open-mindedness, a willingness to do strange and kinky things, a list of desires that I can try to fulfill, and fantasies we share or can begin to share with each other. I couldn't imagine being with someone who treated sex like it was something shameful, to be used only for procreation or for special occasions. Sex should be all the time, a constant game in the background of our relationship, so that little actions, thoughts, texts, etc all become build-up for the next time we can get each other naked.

Without any one of these things, I'd end up pretty unhappy down the line somewhere.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol good thing you said other than looks cause that wouldve been #1 😂🙈

Other 5:
    Commitment
    Respect
    Humor
    Passion
    Care
    I wanted to say shared interests but me and my boyfriend are more diff than we hoped for :(

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE