What are the top 5 things that you need in a dating relationship?

Other than looks, what means the most to you, in order to have a great relationship?

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• 1) We have to each keep trying to make the other happy, every day in small ways, once in a while with big gestures, and frequently with adventures both small and large.

2) We have to share interests and actively pursue them together. For me, that means hiking, biking, gaming (board, tabletop, and video), reading, binge-watching netflix shows, and having sex, among many others. It's also really satisfying to discover an interest and develop it together. For example, me and my girlfriend both got into backpacking together, and now we've been out 4 times and are always looking for new gear and planning new trips to take someday.

3) She needs to receive big romantic gestures well. I'm a big fan of putting on big romantic gestures, and sometimes I like receiving them too, but if she wasn't appreciative or didn't really care about them, I'd feel deeply dissatisfied. I spend a lot of my time quietly plotting any number of big-things-to-do-someday.

4) Similar life-goals. If she doesn't want to eventually have a family, then our relationship isn't going anywhere. If she doesn't want to build up a retirement account, make a difference in the world, provide financial stability for our children, own a lot of pets, and build a house with a big yard, I'm not sure I could ever reconcile those differences.

5) Sexual compatibility. This doesn't just mean a similar level of sex-drive (though that would help). It means a whole mix of important things like open-mindedness, a willingness to do strange and kinky things, a list of desires that I can try to fulfill, and fantasies we share or can begin to share with each other. I couldn't imagine being with someone who treated sex like it was something shameful, to be used only for procreation or for special occasions. Sex should be all the time, a constant game in the background of our relationship, so that little actions, thoughts, texts, etc all become build-up for the next time we can get each other naked.

Without any one of these things, I'd end up pretty unhappy down the line somewhere.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol good thing you said other than looks cause that wouldve been #1 😂🙈

Other 5:
    Commitment
    Respect
    Humor
    Passion
    Care
    I wanted to say shared interests but me and my boyfriend are more diff than we hoped for :(

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• 1- A girl that is not afraid of starting a talk... And doesn't think that is the guy rule to do it even if he is shy AF (yeah... The first thing I need in a girl is kind hard specially on my country apparently)
    2- trustworthiness
    3- the desire to makes me happy
    4- someone who would be there to talk about our days were and comfort each other...
    5- someone that likes to smile... Cuz I love girls smiling =D

1|0
    0|0
  • I couldn't limit it to just 5 criteria because there would be some missing that I won't settle for.

2|0
    0|0
    • I agree with this 100%

• Show All
    • I mean, no one has just 5 things.

• No but I couldn't rank them either. The personal qualities I seek in a dating relationship are equally important.

• Intellectual compatibility -- stimulating conversation
    Sexual compatibility
    Compatibility of needs -- time together vs. time alone.
    Some common interests

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think looks have anything to do with a dating relationship. But I would say that an interest in each other is top priority, having fun things to do, and places to go to. The same tastes in life persuits. And keeping a distance from each others private lives is utmost. You don't want them asking you where you been, with who etc. That is a big full stop on anyone's relationship I would say...

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Humor
    2. Money
    3. Patiance
    4. Honesty
    5. Sexuality

1|0
    0|0
  • Honesty
    Trust
    Respect
    Care
    And be who you are. Don't change for whoever coz you as you are is the one attracted him

2|0
    0|0
  • Communication
    Money
    Positivity
    Personal space and together (as mentioned)
    Sex
    Basic foundation of a good relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • Space
    Blowjobs
    More space
    More beejays
    And a p & bj sandwich.

0|1
    0|0
  • 1.) Communication
    2.) Honesty
    3.) Great Personality
    4.) Loving Heart
    5.) Affectionate

1|0
    0|0
  • Nerdy, kind, open minded, smart, and loyal. Hopefully I'm everything she wants

0|0
    0|0
  • Madness
    Personal Space & understanding.
    Little jealousy.
    A good body
    Trust
    Sex

0|0
    0|0
  • Trust
    Respect
    Affection
    Communication
    Time apart

1|2
    0|0
  • Kindness
    Humor
    Loyalty
    Faith
    Intelligence

0|0
    0|0
  • Compatibility

1|0
    0|1
    • I don’t know why someone thinks this is a bad thing to want?

• Well I don't know about others, but i feel that if two people are not compatible, there is no use in trying to be together.

• Personality, trust, loyalty

1|0
    0|0
  • Communication, Trust, Faith, love, compatible

0|0
    0|0
  • Haha ok awe do!!!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• 1. Compatibility in our core beliefs (morals, politics, religion, etc.)

2. Emotional support/ moral support, compassion, kindness

3. Shared interests and hobbies (at least a few)

4. Mutual respect and appreciation

5. Trust, honesty, and good communication

0|0
    0|0
  • Loyalty
    Affection
    Reliability
    Similar morals and values as mine
    Open and honest about himself, his life , his feelings and emotions

1|0
    0|0
  • Respect, communication, intelligence, open mind, great sex,

1|1
    0|0
    • much needed. Strognly agreed. A great sex is very imp in relationship.

• Communication!!! The most important item in ANY relationship.

TRUST

Attraction, can’t like someone you at least don’t find cute in some way. Whether it be personality or looks. Or both 😉.

0|1
    0|0
  • Understanding, patience, loyalty, respect, and passion!

1|0
    0|0
  • 1. Compatibility.
    2. Honesty.
    3. Loyalty.
    4. Respect.
    5. Effort.

1|0
    0|0
  • Trust, freedom, awesome sex, good conversations and emotional support.

0|0
    0|0
  • Humour
    Maturity
    Spontanious
    Toughish attitude with a little heart
    Not afraid to touch me (it’s mostly an issue for guys my age)

0|0
    0|0
  • Love
    Same interests
    Humour
    Trust
    Care

0|1
    0|0
  • Trust
    Communication
    Humor