Do cheaters always cheat? does the urge to cheat stay?

what would cause a man to cheat? I gave him everything he needed. physical, mental, and emotional attention. I always put him before myself so i’m really unsure on why he did it and every time I ask him he says “I don’t know why I did it” he didn’t do anything physical because I caught him early on but it was more emotional. seeing her every single day and hanging out almost all day (he always said he was with his guy friends), calling her 5+ times a day which I found out later on, giving her his clothes, buying her food, going to each other houses and meeting families, claiming her as his girlfriend, and complimenting her constantly. we were together for almost 3 years and he wants to keep trying but I’m not sure he promised me he would never do it again... but what if he does and it’s worse
(the girl knew we were together) we have mutual friends I just never talked to her

413

Most Helpful Guy

• Everybody makes mistakes and not everyone stays unfaithful it's not a disease lol I think some people just crave the thrill of the chase... like a puppy with a new toy that it knows it's not supposed to have. you just have to ask your gut whether or not you can trust him again because without trust it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Dealing with Lies and unfaithfulness can do unimaginable things mentally. Personally it completely change how I see people. It gave me a permanent wall and trusting anyone seems impossible sometimes. It sounds like youve more than fulfilled your end of the relationship lol. People can change just remember trust is earned and always go with your guy... You'll be alright

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Sorry *gut not guy

• it’s okay, I understood what you were trying to say lol but thank you, I’m still trying to get past the trust part because at this point I don’t trust him at all. it wasn’t a mistake, it was a choice and he knows that but he’s also been trying to work his way back up but he hasn’t shown me any actions on improvements, just words and I just can’t trust those. He lied to me for a while and he’s very secretive/closed off so that just adds to the distrust. I’m a very open person about everything so it’s just hard to cope with that. he has been trying to open up about things but not the big, important stuff that one should be honest about.

Most Helpful Girl

• For some yes, and some no. I believe when someone cheats and if they're truly sorry and apologetic, makes effort to change these habits they can be changed. and they've learnt their lesson, vs others, cannot be satisfied no matter how good of a partner you are they are selfish. You can compare what you give him if he cheats on you. If you know you're a good partner then you aren't the issue. The thing is he actually lied to you about it, and didn't come clean, he had to realize his errors and be actually sorry if you are considering to stay with him.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE