Why am I always friend zoned/unable to get a date?

ScienceNurd
I've been talking to on average one new girl per day, getting a girl's number 2-3 times a week, and have had about 5 good female friends. However, every time I start to flirt with them, they get very uncomfortable around me, saying they only want me as a friend. I don't know if it's my appearance, and here are 2 pictures:
Also, one of my friends say that my suicidal depression seems to be a turn-off, but she admits in her confusion as to when I'm not having an anxiety/depressive episode, I'm one of the funniest and smartest people she knows personally. Perhaps is my mental issues prevalent when interacting with people one on one? Most of my friends don't know that I have this issue anyways, so I don't think so.

Another hypothesis as to why I can't get a girl is that apparently, I might have too few hobbies and interests, but I don't know the validity of this. As a Mechanical Engineering student in Waterloo, it's very hard to have more than a few hobbies and balance an 80 average. I used to have lots of hobbies before depression took it away. However, after depression hit, I was still able to retain my love for 3d printing, science, designing, business, stocks, and being sarcastically funny [assuming I'm not suicidal at the given moment. Otherwise, we can add dark humor to this list] :P

Another thing my friends have said is to continue improving myself, especially with the issues I have, but once again, I'm skeptical so I'm coming to the online community for advice. The main issue, and arguably the only issue, I'm plagued with is my anxiety/depression. However, I feel like I am making significant progress day by day. It's been months since my last attempt at my life and I've stopped cutting myself for the past 3 weeks. That's enormous progress if you ask me. But they say it's not enough. What's the online community's opinion?

But seriously, does it look like my depression is the only thing in the way or is there another hidden variable my friends and I missed?
Is the main culprit my depression / anxiety?
Is the main culprit my appearance / looks?
Is the main culprit my "desperation"?
Vote C
Is the main culprit something else? [please specify in the comments]
Vote D
Is it all just bad luck [statistically speaking, very unlikely, but possible]
Vote E
GirlGuy
2
10