Is it wrong to break up with boyfriend who won't brush teeth at night or go to the dentist?

Hey everyone,
My boyfriend has not been to the dentist in 10 years. He claims due to lack of insurance and life circumstances he couldn't go in the past. Since I lived with him I found out he doesn't brush his teeth at night, and he doesn't floss. He only brushes 1 x a day in the morning (which I find a big turn off : ( When I ask him to brush his teeth at night he gets all upset and won't do it. I'm a dental assistant and when I got him in to the office I worked at, they found out he had 9 cavities and periodontal disease. The hygienist said she cleaned as much as she could, but he still needs a "deep cleaning" and should get his teeth cleaned every 3 months. This bothered me because I had hoped he would be in decent shape! Well, I made a dental appointment for him somewhere else that took his insurance. He missed that appointment, which bothered me. I let it slide since his work was very busy. (He works for himself as a contractor). So a few months later when things settled I started to suggest he make another appointment. He has not done it. The other night I didn't want to french kiss him. I told him if he wanted to be with me, he'd have to start making time to go the dentist. At this point he got very upset saying he doesn't like "ultimatums". I apologized and tried to move on, but the next day he was still irritated that I gave him an ultimatum. I couldn't take it, and we broke up. Now I can't believe I broke up with someone because they won't brush their teeth at night or see a dentist. I love him, but I see it only getting worse. Any suggestions here?
Thank you all for your support. We broke up yesterday (Christmas Eve), so it's been especially hard. I know it's for the best though. 2018 will bring better opportunities!

1215

Most Helpful Guy

• perfectly fine in my opinion.
    if he wants to be stubborn and act like a mule then so be it. he will soon have his teeth look like the ones of a mule.
    I cannot believe these people, how hard is it to brush twice a day and visit dentist. Ok, not every 3 months, but 6 months, 8 months.
    My brother is the same kind of idiot like your dude.
    And trust me it's not about insurance or anything. He simply doesn't want to go. He barely washes his teeth at all. Fortunately denture is strong and thank god, breath is fresh (cannot understand how does that work). but even so, you expect that moment teeth will start to fall and you wonder what are these people thinking. Rather have screws in your jaw, than brushing.

Don't feel sad for him. It's a serious thing, you cannot walk around with teeth falling off. you tried to help, asked him to make a habit out of brushing, he didn't.
    Fuck him for playing the ultimatum card.

If he tries to correct himself and understand that you want his good then ok, if he however contacts to say you did not love him and play the victim card then tell him:
    it's disgusting and you expect me to put my tongue on food debris that's been there for months?

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess bad mouth hygiene is common for guys their age, my boyfriend hasn't been to the dentist in 5+ years. He doesn't have dental insurance but he does brush and use mouthwash often and sometimes flosses. I do that religiously since I used to have braces so I like taking care of my teeth.(Sometimes I'll floss in front of him and that gets him to do it too.) His wisdom tooth was bugging him recently and that got me to convince him to add him to my dental insurance. He finally agreed and has an appointment next month. I guess sometimes it takes pain for them to get a reality check.
    Hopefully your dude will come around and realize you were just looking out for him, and if he can't appreciate that, then he doesn't deserve you.

• Does your boyfriend brush morning and night?

• He always brushes mornings, sometimes at night-like maybe 3 or 4 days of the week but I always brush morning and night. I try brushing around him so it can maybe "rub on him" to do the same, but I guess if you aren't used to it you won't do it until you realize a root canal costs $300+ and would like to keep your permanent teeth for as long as possible!