Why would a guy basically lie to a girl he's interested in?

hi guys, so I met this guy on the internet and we got well along with from. the beginning. we actually wanted to meet up tomorrow but 3 days ago he told me he's in hospital because of an accident. got to know him in a Facebook single group and when I looked at his profile last night it suddenly said IN A RELATIONSHIP.. We got to know each other a week ago and by the time we started talking, he told me he was single and he said he's very interested in meeting me personally...
why would he do this now? -.-

04

Most Helpful Guy

• May be he is not lying... He may hv put his status as "In a relationship " to show his guy friends that he is committed to some girl., bcz sometimes it happens tht , having a girlfriend is social image issue among guys

• what do you mean with social image issue? he didn't tell me about him being committed to so other girl...

• It's like if a guy has a hot girlfriend then he is very cool/ dude among his peer circle