Do you prefer a strong-willed partner or a soft one?

• Strong-willed
  • Soft-willed
  • Other
    Vote C

926

Most Helpful Guy

• A bit of both. A woman who knows when to be strong, but also knows when to be soft and submissive. I like both dynamics. Assertive sometimes, but also feminine and supporting rather than hardheaded and unyielding.

As for me, I also prefer to sometimes be sensitive and giving, but also like to enjoy my more manly dominance. It is like a dance, sometimes pushing, sometimes pulling.

Sometimes we have our moments where we are weak, but that doesn't have to define us. Sometimes our strong-will can also prove to be our undoing when we are too sure of ourselves and don't listen to reason just for the sake of standing our ground. Knowing how to balance the two, knowing when it is time to rise to the occasion but also when to surrender to what is, is a sign of maturity and strength despite any flaws or insecurities we still have as human beings. Once we embrace that, we can appreciate it in others and not judge them for it. We give chances because we also deserve the same chances.

To those people who think that being "soft" is weak or that it is a character trait that should be snuffed out, I like to go back my favorite philosopher, Lao Tzu...

"Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.”

"A man is born gentle and weak. At his death he is hard and stiff.
    Green plants are tender and filled with sap. At their death they are withered and dry. Therefore the stiff and unbending is the disciple of death. The gentle and yielding is the disciple of life. Thus an army without flexibility never wins a battle. A tree that is unbending is easily broken. The hard and strong will fall. The soft and weak will overcome."

Most Helpful Girl

• Strong-willed, because I'm a pushover and need someone to tell me what to do.