Why was my boyfriend so quiet when I was meeting his parents?

Last night on Christmas day, my boyfriend of 2 months invited to have dinner with his family. Although I thought it was too soon and I was really nervous, I did it anyway.
Since we haven't defined our relationship yet, he introduced me as his "friend". I was fine and got along with it. His family were shy but very hospitable and warm, and I tried to mingle despite the awkwardness. After a while, he suggested going back to my place and we said goodbye. His mom said that she hopes to see me soon and gave me a little gift, and my boyfriend was strangely quiet the whole time. When I asked him on our way back if he thought they liked me, he replied "Yeah They like having guests over".
What does this all mean? Should I just treat meeting the guy's family as a big deal or not? What should I do next? Thoughts?

03