Ex says I’m selfish for ending the relationship, what do you think? ?

I recently ended it with my boyfriend of 5 months because he wanted me to not eat meat at home and that it was the only criteria in marrying me. He’s Indian and I’m Chinese and he made me choose between eating vegetarian meals at home (I would be the one cooking it too) or end the relationship.

I chose to end the relationship because I felt it was very unfair to maintain a meat free home when we are both in an interracial relationship. He thinks I’m selfish that I chose my diet over love. I’m a big food lover as well and he thinks sacrificing meat isn’t a big thing.

He said I can eat meat outside and when we go out, but the marital home must be meat free. I love my meat and believed in equality, he thinks I’m selfish in my decision and is very upset. Honestly, in my mind it’s just not fair, I’ve sacrificed a lot food wise, such as can’t go for my favourite things like sushi etc and when we do go out to eat, I’m always veggie conscious because of him, but I know I miss enjoying food.

Do you think I’m selfish? He says if you love someone you would give it up.

What would you do?

920

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe that you did the right thing. He shouldn't push sacrifices on you they're more like threats. To put you in that position is very unfair of him and in my mind I don't believe it would end there. Just remember it is his choice that you are no longer together. It was your choice to not be pushed into a corner.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, you are not selfish. Your being realistic. YOu can't live by those standards, and that is just that. I'm sorry, but he acts too much alike a insecure girl/woman who thinks the same thing about guys concerning 'love': I can change him./ If he loves me, he'll change.

He is no longer your problem, and he will just have to deal with it. What you two had was not LOVE. It was desperation and convienance. This is why you ask such personal questions as friends first if both people are interested in dating or possible marriage. And if you don't go by those rules, then at least on the first few dates. Otherwise, you will continue to go through these problems and having a unsuccessful dating life. You won't get the results you want and need. I know you've posted up about this issue before. But again, you have to learn that you can't focus on what you want but what you need. If your not personally willing to alter your diet habits, especailly for health reasons then you will be like this. This has to be your choice at the end of the day. You either regret it, chose to, or don't. If you do overall love somebody, then yeah, of course you would sacrifice things. But you need to make the right and moralistic sacrifices. At the end of the day, you have to have your priorities in order and know who you are as a person. Because it should not be like that at your age bracket.