Cheating: is it ever okay?

My partner and I were discussing about cheating and to what extent would it be forgivable.

Physical cheating was a no no for both of us.
Still, to him, emotional cheating was forgivable because, due to past relationships, he believed that it may have been his fault to make the other person miserable enough to seek love and attention from another.

What do you think? Is emotional cheating forgivable? Is it even a thing? Would you forgive your significant other if they cheated?

• I'd forgive my partner if s/he emotionally cheated on me, but not physically
  • I'd forgive my partner if s/he physically cheated on me, but not emotionally
  • I wouldn't forgive any of the types of cheating
    Vote C
  • I'd forgive both
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E

4984

Most Helpful Guy

• If my partner feels miserable, she has an obligation to address that problem with me and not with anyone else. That is the promise she made and that is the promise I would expect her to keep. If she breaks that promise, how could I ever again trust her absolutely?

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like, and you agree, that physical cheating is a never. Emotional cheating, I say it depends on the length it went on for. If my partner sees a woman and thinks she's hot/sexy and wants to have sex with her etc, i wouldn't care, because its called attraction and it happens to everyone. However, if they wish not to be in a relationship with me and with someone else that they know, which is technically emotional cheating, i would trust my partner to either address the issue to me, or just break up with me because being cheated on is a humiliating, degrading, traumatizing experience.