My boyfriend's a sociopath, but I still love him, though I don't like his behaviour. What do I do?

So, I know this guy since my childhood (We have mutual friends), but I never liked him (at least I thought so), but whenever somebody would say something bad about him, I would always defend him. When we were 14 year olds, we got closer and that's when I realised I loved him, I just knew it. We got closer and closer and now we were dating. Right now, I'm 18 and he's still my boyfriend. I kind of always knew he was a sociopath and loved manipulating people, but I just didn't pay attention to it. Plus, he always tells me how good it is to have control over people. He's different with me, he opens his heart to me and I always thought he played mind games on me, but I googled - ,, How to know if somebody plays mind games on me" and it turned out he didn't. I don't like his behaviour, but I love him with all my heart and want him to be normal, to not control people. I don't want to leave him, I want to change him. Please, give some opinions. P. S sorry for my bad English.

15

Most Helpful Guy

• 1) You don't just change a sociopath. Sociopathic tendencies are clinical disorders. It'd be like curing autism (or at least that which formerly was Asperger's) by handing someone a comprehensive rulebook of social interaction.

2) How do you know he doesn't play mind games on you? I'm low in empathy and I don't have a problem scheming and using others as my pawns. If someone with sufficient skill wants to control you, then you won't notice.

3) Get rid of him. It'll only get worse, you'll be more and more torn, you will feel worse and worse for abandoning him as time goes on.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • As I said I googled it and saw many posts about it😂 I know it's lame, but I just wanted to check and from what I read it turnes out he's not playing anything unless he's just too damn skilled or has some new ways of messing with somebody's mind. But here's the question. Why would he tell me about his feelings?

• So, how did it turn out?

• I broke up with him.